Prairie City to Atlantic, Iowa


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Iowa » Atlantic
June 26th 2010
Published: June 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Prairie Learning CenterPrairie Learning CenterPrairie Learning Center

The Neal Smith interpretive center has an excellent exhibit about prairie ecology.
Sunday, June 6th

We drive to the Neal Smith National Wildlife Refuge at Prairie City, Iowa. The Learning Center at the refuge explains how the natural prairie is being restored through controlled fires, the re-introduction of native species, and the eradication of invasive plant species. We follow a self-guided driving tour which shows specific techniques being used to restore the prairie. A herd of bison and other animals have been brought to the refuge as part of the prairie restoration.

As we have traveled through the Midwest, we have stopped at several sites where the prairie ecosystems are being restored. Only about one percent of the natural prairie still remains, but many universities, wildlife refuges, national parks and nonprofits such as Nature Conservancy and the Audubon Society have stepped in to preserve what remains and to restore grazed land as close as possible to its original state.

We now head for Atlantic, where Leigh was born, to visit with his relatives and to revisit many memories.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Prairie GrassesPrairie Grasses
Prairie Grasses

Natural prairie has a combination of several grasses native to that particular area.
WildflowersWildflowers
Wildflowers

There is also a wide variety of flowering plants including the wild rose.
Oak SavannahOak Savannah
Oak Savannah

The oak savannah, found close to streams, is an important part of the prairie ecosystem.
Reeds and wetlandsReeds and wetlands
Reeds and wetlands

Wetlands, reeds and potholes are also an important part of the native prairie .
CloudsClouds
Clouds

Clouds, with their promise of rain, are always a dramatic part of the prairie landscape.


Tot: 0.132s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb