Indiana Dunes State Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Indiana » Chesterton
August 2nd 2014
Published: August 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

People who aren't from the Midwest are always surprised to hear about the beaches at the Great Lakes. Yes, the Midwest has beaches! There might not be much fun in the sand in the middle of winter, but they are perfect for the summer. Before setting out for the Indiana Dunes, I answered a few basic questions from Andrew: yes, there are tides at the Great Lakes. And waves. And sometimes even undertow. There are people who jet ski and do other summer sports. The lakes are so big, you can't see to the other side, and you almost feel like you're at the ocean. Of course, the water is freshwater, though, but so do all of the things that come with that (like no jellyfish!).

We went to the closest beach that I know of: The Indiana Dunes. It's a state park and national lakeshore. There are rolling dunes to climb--many of which are actually forested--and miles of sandy beaches. They're just outside of Chicago, in Chesterton, IN near Michigan City, IN. There's a lot of free parking as well as some private places that sell parking spots right up on the beach. There are facilities with running water. Admission is free.

We spent the afternoon enjoying the water and the sand. At first, I was worried that it would only be 75 degrees--not exactly great beach weather. But there wasn't a cloud in the sky, and I wouldn't have wanted it to be any hotter than it was! I was very happy that the bed & breakfast we're staying at provided us with a beach umbrella, along with beach chairs, beach toys, and beach toys. It was an ideal way to spend a summer day with two little kids.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The Great LakesThe Great Lakes
The Great Lakes

Joanna's busy playing in the sand at the Indiana Dunes.
Building a DungeonBuilding a Dungeon
Building a Dungeon

Oliver wanted to build a dungeon like in Zelda out of sand. He used the sand molds to make a seahorse boss, and he used rocks to make treasure chests.
The Beach!The Beach!
The Beach!

The kids loved the beach in Indiana.
VacationVacation
Vacation

You know it's vacation when the kids play together and get along.
Lake MichiganLake Michigan
Lake Michigan

Andrew and Oliver are way out there in the lake, at the sand bar.


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 34; dbt: 0.055s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb