Travel to Historic Nauvoo and Back to 1845


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Nauvoo
April 23rd 2012
Published: April 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

I recently had a chance to visit a small town on the Mississippi called Nauvoo, Illinois. Actually, Nauvoo was once the largest city in the state until around 1840 when Chicago outgrew it. Though my trip lasted only a couple of days I was pleasantly surprised at the rich culture and many activities and events that were available. We stayed at the Woodruff Hotel, a historic Nauvoo landmark. I truly felt like I had traveled back in time. I recommend this experience to anyone looking for a nostalgic look at American history. Here are a few of the must see attractions in Nauvoo.

Horse-drawn Carriage Tour
Yep they have horse-drawn carriage rides for the family available throughout the day. And best of all they are free. These tours are narrated every step of the way. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable. The tour takes you through Old Nauvoo -- a part of the city that has been recreated to appear as the actual city did in its peak 160 years ago. You can walk around town and go in some of the buildings, but I thoroughly enjoyed the carriage.

Family Living Center
The Family Living Center recreates what daily life was like in 1800's. You will see how everyday items were made by hand such as candles, rope, bread, and even barrels. After seeing this exhibit you will be extremely grateful for conveniences of modern life we often take for granted.

Nauvoo LDS Temple
The Mormon temple in Nauvoo is one of the most beautiful and elegant buildings I have ever seen. Though the current temple is a recreation of the original, it was initially built in the 1840's. They incorporated some original pieces from the first building. The craftsmanship is amazing, especially when you think they finished the building with man and ox power and only the technology of the time.

The Summer Nauvoo Pageant
Sadly, I missed this event because it only happens in the summer. But what I have heard about it makes me want to come back just to watch it. Every summer kids from across the country come to Nauvoo to participate in the pageant. The show commemorates the trials and hardships of the early settlers in Nauvoo. Every piece of music is original, scripts are professionally written, and the acting is well done. It is outdoors and seems like the perfect way to spend a cool summer night. If you plan to come for the pageant I recommend you start looking at Nauvoo, Illinois hotels pretty early because apparently demand is high during the summer.

I hope you will take this opportunity to step outside the box and learn about a part of our history you may not be familiar with. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb