Day 20 - Toward Mt. Rushmore


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Nauvoo
June 12th 2010
Published: June 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We got an early start today, seven hours to Mt. Rushmore.

We stopped in Carthage, IL. and saw the jail where they held Joseph Smith. Took lots of pictures, typical touristy thing.

Then we went to Nauvoo, IL. and toured the Community of Christ site. We didn’t take the actual tour, but drove around and read signs and saw sites. We did go into the Scovil Bakery and the Theatre and watched a play that was for kids, it was cute. Behind the theatre we went into a building where people taught how to make candles out of lard, weave rugs and cloth, do pottery, make bread, and build different kinds of barrels.

We then went up to the Nauvoo Temple that is now owned by the LDS Church, took more pictures.

After Nauvoo we then drove over the Mississippi River into Iowa and onward toward MT. Rushmore.

-Heidi


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Bullet HoleBullet Hole
Bullet Hole

from the bullet that killed Hyrum Smith instantly.
Window that Joseph Smith Window that Joseph Smith
Window that Joseph Smith

fell out of once shot.
Heidi, Rylan, Julia & StatueHeidi, Rylan, Julia & Statue
Heidi, Rylan, Julia & Statue

Statue of Joseph and Hyrum Smith
OvensOvens
Ovens

How about using these ovens, it took almost all day to heat them up. A person puts their hand on it to figure out the temp. The wooden doors are soaked all night in water so they wont burn when the coals are put inside to heat up the oven.
Mansion HouseMansion House
Mansion House

This is where Joseph Smith and his family lived, eventually they built on and it became a Hotel, and they only occupied three of the rooms of the home.
Joseph Smith Sr. HomeJoseph Smith Sr. Home
Joseph Smith Sr. Home

The graves of Hyrum, Joseph Jr, and Emma Smith are in the back yard.
Lots of Historical BuildingsLots of Historical Buildings
Lots of Historical Buildings

The area we visited was right off the shore of the Mississippi River.


13th June 2010

Great pix, thank you again.

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0625s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb