WONDERS AND MORE WONDERS


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Granite City
November 13th 2007
Published: November 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

A MAGNIFICENT SPECIMUMA MAGNIFICENT SPECIMUMA MAGNIFICENT SPECIMUM

What a magnificent specimum of the human male form.
The next leg of the journey is crammed full of activity and excitement. After an exhausting ¼ mile bike ride, we stopped at what will be known as Lake Vest. It has been a dream in the making, and although was derailed for a short time, the digging has begun again. All this lake needs is a little water and some landscaping and people will be flocking from all over to see this attraction. We spent some time imaging it’s future splendor while catching our breath.

The Cell Tower is an iron tower built near the Cahokia Levee. This tower has become a an icon of lower Collinsville and is one of the most recognizable structures in a three-mile radius. When the sun was setting that evening the glint from the tower made a kaliedscope of color in the eastern sky. At the time the tower was built, people were shocked at it’s daring shape.

After an exhausting day, the need to rest hit us like bricks. Although a bit short on money, we decided to stay at one of the most wonderful inns in Collinsvilla. I be you are all jealous of our rare shot of such grandure.
LAKE VESTLAKE VESTLAKE VEST

This is a dream in the making that we were able to witness with our own eyes.


The World's Largest Catsup Bottle stands proudly next to Route 159, just south of downtown Collinsville, Illinois. This unique 170 ft. tall water tower was built in 1949 by the W.E. Caldwell Company for the G.S. Suppiger catsup bottling plant - bottlers of Brooks old original rich & tangy catsup. In 1995, due to the efforts of the Catsup Bottle Preservation Group, this landmark roadside attraction was saved from demolition and beautifully restored to its original appearance. Recognized the world over as an excellent example of 20th century roadside Americana, the World's Largest Catsup Bottle regularly garners national attention and attracts visitors and tourists every day. In August of 2002 it was named to the National Register of Historic Places.

And the locals reminded me so much of Minnie Mouse and Jack Sparrow.... I mean CAPTAIN JackSparrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

BETTER IN PERSONBETTER IN PERSON
BETTER IN PERSON

The picture does this site no justice! This is without a doubt the largest cell phone tower in a three-mile radius.
HOME AWAY FROM HOMEHOME AWAY FROM HOME
HOME AWAY FROM HOME

The ambience took our breath away!
A REAL ROAD SIDE ATTRACTIONA REAL ROAD SIDE ATTRACTION
A REAL ROAD SIDE ATTRACTION

So na-nana-na-na!
NEVER SAY ANYONE LIKE USNEVER SAY ANYONE LIKE US
NEVER SAY ANYONE LIKE US

The locals came flocking to see the strangers in their midst shouting "we've never seen anyone like this before!"


Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb