Street markets, bazaars, and fairs… oh my!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Granite City
October 25th 2007
Published: October 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Like a fish in waterLike a fish in waterLike a fish in water

Bruce mingled with the local folk as if he knew them and their culture all his life, blending in like a chameleon.
Once Bruce and I left the Pyramids, we decided to remain at ground level to get our balance back. Pablo led us in town to peruse the local goods from various artisans and crafters. The street market contained a variety of local flavor: trinkets, pots, tools, and more. We were amazed at the craftsmanship and finery we saw before us! What treasures and riches we saw, gazing at amazement at the unusual cultural spice sprinkled throughout the tents.

One particular item of interest, and a local favorite, was the gourd. If you aren’t familiar with the gourd, Webster technically defines it as “1: any of a family (Cucurbitaceae, the gourd family) of chiefly herbaceous tendril-bearing vines including the cucumber, melon, squash, and pumpkin.” As basic as this seems, we quickly learned that there is a whole underground society dedicated to the life and love of gourds. What a strange people they really are! Just the same, we appreciate their passion and enjoy experiencing enthusiasm for the little gem.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Oh my gourd!Oh my gourd!
Oh my gourd!

We were very lucky to be in town at the peek of gourd season. You can’t imagine all the sizes and shapes of gourds we were able to see, touch, and enjoy. What a great opportunity to become so intimate with these fine objects!
What a Fine Pair.What a Fine Pair.
What a Fine Pair.

Kathy examines two fine pie pumpkin specimens.
Size Does Matter!Size Does Matter!
Size Does Matter!

Bruce is awed by the many variations of gourds and pumpkins as demonstrated in this picture.


Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0508s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb