Beautiful day in the Windy City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
August 25th 2017
Published: October 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The drive from Buffalo was a long and pretty boring one. You don't see many international tourists when you stop on the highway service areas here. This is one serious drive, starting with Upper New York State, than the North-West of Pennsylvania followed by crossing Ohio and Indiana to finally end in Illinois. We also drive actually pretty close to Michigan. The road follow for a while Lake Erie, but we actually never saw it!



If you want to park in downtown Chicago, be ready to pay up to 65usd per night...just to park your car! Hotels in Chicago are actually relatively cheap if you compare the rates to New York, but that parking fee would kill it. So we are simply staying next to O'hare airport....and are not charged for letting our little Mustang sleep here. The hotel is nothing impressive, just another airport hotel, and we don't even take a plane. We arrived late, and two morning, are leaving pretty early our old Four Points by Sheraton. This leaves us a full day to explore Chicago.



So early morning, it's the ride to the airport to catch the local metro to downtown. Easy, and pretty cheap ride, just need to be a little patient! It must be maybe my 5th visit to the windy city. No plan to come here ever in the middle of the winter, this place can be way too cold. But today, weather is simply gorgeous. My last visit was back in summer 2012 with Tiffany and Leslie. We were on our way to our one year in Argentina!



Nothing really new for me today. We are going for the highlights with Tanya. Early morning, the plan is to beat the crowds for the lifts and views above the Willis Tower. Always a fun and amazing experience, specially the walk on the glass edge. They have improved the system by instating some well organize queuing system for the best pics taking. People may queue longer, but it's well done and you have more time to enjoy your time.



Next, one of my preferred museum in the world, the Art Institute of Chicago. I love the fact that by allowing just two to three hours to visit, you can have a great highlight of some amazing art pieces....just a stunning place!



Following this, we spend some fun time in the Millenium Park....this is truly a beautiful day! Lunch...we love the buffets offered by Whole Food supermarkets, it's not too expensive and the best way to file on serious amount of veggies! Best antidote to the different fast food chains offered on the road....the more you get lost in the countryside, the less choice there is in most States!



We spent our afternoon walking around the Magnificient Mile and riding the world famous Loop. I even spotted the downtown new jail in Chicago. It looks like any other high-rise....except that the building is a jail, holding people who face court in the city. Realized too late what it was before being able to snap a picture.



We found some nice wine and some sushis before being on our way back to our little room. Tomorrow, it's another long road ahead of us!


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



29th October 2017
Happy couple...

Crazy couple
Chicago is a great city. You should have stopped in Cleveland at the Rock and roll hall of fame.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb