RIHLA #8


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
November 5th 2011
Published: November 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Rome- Weddings, marriages, and divorce

Weddings: In Rome were romantic because they did not have divorce for the first 500 years, which meant when they picked their partner it was really true love. Romans were eligible to get married once the male was 14 and the female 12. In Rome it was not allowed to marry your family. For example, if they were your third cousin or so, it was not allowed. The ceremony was always in the bride's house, usually her father's house. One similarity to the United States tradition is that they gave their vows. They needed witnesses in the wedding to make it "legal" the most number of witnesses needed was 10.
http://rome.mrdonn.org/weddings.html

Marriage: The father of the girl would choose her significant other. The Romans religion felt that June was the best month for couples to get married. Once a woman was married the one in control of her was no longer her father, but her husband. Their main job was to take care of the children and the home.
http://www.womenintheancientworld.com/women%20and%20marriage%20in%20ancient%20rome.htm

Divorce: When a woman wanted to get a divorce form her husband she would send him a letter saying it was over, but there had to be a witness. When the man wanted to get a divorce he would live life when he was single. If the couple had kids, the kids would go with the father. The man would decide whether he wanted the woman to see her children or not.
http://www.womenintheancientworld.com/divorceinancientrome.htm

Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb