Playing Hookey in Chicago


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
November 9th 2007
Published: November 9th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Chelle wagged from her conference today and took the day off to have a good look at Chicago. Given that she has been waking up at 3:30am most morning (jet lag is a nightmare) she was up and about early in the morning.

The weather here is freezing! So walking all around the city was a little brisk. First stop in the morning was a little visit to the Field Musuem to take a look at the Map exhibition. As Chelle loves maps she was right in her element. They even had a book of maps by Piri Reis, a very famous map maker from Turkey. The map book was amazing with gold leaf illustrations! Very beautiful.

On the way down to the Field Museum Chelle walked through Grant Park and played with all the art sculptures and the squirrals. There is a massive shiny bean in Chicago that reflects all the city buildings. It looks just like a giant coffee bean. Very cool. Chelle even managed to get a photo of myself in the big shiny bean.

Following the museum it was off to take a look at the shops. Chelle went for a good walk up Michigan Avenue which is called the Magnificant Mile.

After a lovely minestrone soup and glass of bubbles at a little italian eatery the viewing of the shops continued.

In the street there was a really rather weird display of cranberry pressing. I guess it was for thanksgiving. They were also giving away free Cranberry juice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.349s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 15; qc: 71; dbt: 0.1203s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb