Chicago Again :)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
May 28th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This time I was in Chicago visiting my friends M&A. I took a plane in on Saturday and stayed at a hotel out near O'Hare... which, by the way, is much less expensive than in the city... though it is a 45 min. CTA ride (@ $2/trip) to the Loop; extended stay hotels (e.g. Staybridge Suites) are relatively inexpensive out by the airport, though I stayed at the Doubletree with my hotel points).

Sunday morning I took the CTA to the Roosevelt stop just south of the Loop. It was then a short walk to the Field Museum and Shedd Aquarium (both next to each other and on the south side of Grant Park). The plan was to meet M&A around noon and go to to Shedd Aquarium. However, since this was Memorial Weekend, the line to Shedd Aquarium was very long (hundreds of people waiting) and, at one point, I think they stopped admitting people all together because it was so full.

M&A were running a little late, so I spent a lot of time walking around the park area surrounding the Field Museum and Shedd Aquarium. This area has some wonderful shoreline walks with great views of
Duckie, Paddington, and AvisDuckie, Paddington, and AvisDuckie, Paddington, and Avis

Chillin' in Chicago.
the city. It was also a sunny, blue-sky day.

Because the Shedd Aquarium was so full, I met up with M&A near the CTA Roosevelt stop and we then took the CTA (which is also called the 'L' for "elevated", even though it has sections of subway in addition to the many elevated tracks) to the State stop, which is on the Loop. From there we walked north across the Chicago River to find a place to eat.

We first checked the restaurant at the House of Blues, but it was closed for a private party event. So, we took a short cab ride to the Hard Rock Cafe. Lunch was great, though our waiter was more than a bit eccentric... but it made it all the more interesting.

After lunch, we took either the 65 or 29 on Illinois street out to the Navy Pier. We spent some time walking around and stopped for awhile to watch a performance (a guy doing flexibility stuff... like fitting himself into a small box). We also visited the Smith Museum of Stained Glass Windows; Chicago is apparently known for its stained glass windows (and beautiful architecture, among other things).

We then walked around a bit more and caught a taxi to Ogilvie Metra Station.

As usual, Chicago is such a great city to visit and I especially enjoyed hanging out with M&A... such a beautiful day in a beautiful city.

----------------------------------

The next morning I headed to Union Station (via CTA and some walking) to catch an Amtrak train back to Missouri. We departed around 9 AM and I arrived in Jefferson City, MO around 8:00 PM (which was about an hour late). The trip was my first on Amtrak and I very much enjoyed it. The seats were very comfortable, especially in business class (Chicago to St. Louis). Coach was also comfortable, though not as roomy (St. Louis to Jefferson City). The seats in both business class and coach had AC power outlets. There was also a snack car with table seating. Great way to travel except for the time-in-transit. Much more comfortable than traveling by air and it left me wishing that the U.S. would add more high-speed trains like the one's in Europe. But that might not be economically feasible. At any rate, it was a great experience and I will be sure to check both Amtrak and the airlines in future domestic travel adventures.



Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Chicago SkylineChicago Skyline
Chicago Skyline

Taken from Rosemont (near O'Hare).
SignsSigns
Signs

South side of Grant Park.
New condo/apartment buildingsNew condo/apartment buildings
New condo/apartment buildings

Lots of these flying up all over the country. But the housing market is cooling off quickly.
Beautiful Chicago - 2Beautiful Chicago - 2
Beautiful Chicago - 2

Looking north-west from Grant Park.
Beautiful Chicago - 1Beautiful Chicago - 1
Beautiful Chicago - 1

Looking north from Grant Park.
Beautiful Chicago - 4Beautiful Chicago - 4
Beautiful Chicago - 4

Looking north from Grant Park. Lake Michigan on the right.
Beautiful Chicago - 3Beautiful Chicago - 3
Beautiful Chicago - 3

The Sears Tower.
RamRam
Ram

On a light-post in front of Field Museum.
Beautiful Chicago - 5Beautiful Chicago - 5
Beautiful Chicago - 5

Skyline and train tracks.
Union Station and Sears TowerUnion Station and Sears Tower
Union Station and Sears Tower

The Amtrak station is at Union Station.
Stained GlassStained Glass
Stained Glass

At the Smith Museum of Stained Glass


8th June 2007

Chicago
Nice pictures, as usual. When we were there seeing Matt graduate in April, we were quite surprised to see how beautiful Chicago is (having never been there before). It is especially pretty down by the Aquarium/downtown. I think you captured the sights well.
8th June 2007

Nice blog!
Thanks for posting the blog- I emailed your blog site address to Matthew to visit sometime

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb