Empire Builder Rolling Adventure


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
April 18th 2007
Published: April 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Empire Builder Rolling Adventure

 North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago By sabbytravelers
April 18th 2007 Almost 35 years ago we took a wonderful train trip through the Canadian Rockies. Since we had the luxury of time this year, we scheduled this train loop as our final hurrah! The first leg is along the northern border of the US, hitting towns like Milwaukee, WI, St. Paul, MN, Fargo, ND, Wolf Point, MT, Sandpoint, ID, Everett, WA and finally Seattle. The train left exactly on time (and according to authorities watching our progress, arrived 5 minutes early. That said, we indeed were in some cases 1/2 hr. (or more) early to some locations along the way (and possibly tardy.) That happens when the passenger trains have to sit on the side rails and let the freight trains pass. It is fascinating how the schedule shakes out and fixes itself during the 48 hours.

We experienced a beautiful sunset as we drove along the mighty Mississippi near Red Wing, MN, met some fun people along the way, found partners for Euchre and thoroughly enjoyed the R&R that comes with a trip of this nature: no navigating, no distractions, great food, interesting country/city sides.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

...we'll make it......we'll make it...
...we'll make it...

it's only 48 hours after all!
Milwaukee's BestMilwaukee's Best
Milwaukee's Best

you have to be quick with the camera
It's a Really, Really Long TrainIt's a Really, Really Long Train
It's a Really, Really Long Train

and interestingly splits in the middle of the last night with part of the train going to Portland, OR and the rest to Seattle.
StopsStops
Stops

are actually infrequent once this train gets started
StopsStops
Stops

but you never know what might be waiting for a return visit....
DestinationDestination
Destination

the port of Seattle, WA


25th April 2007

sabbaticals
I think you two win the award for the all-time best sabbatical ever! What a great year full of adventure!!

Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 16; qc: 78; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb