Berlin to Chicago


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
April 6th 2007
Published: April 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Onwards to ChicagoOnwards to ChicagoOnwards to Chicago

BA Airbus A319
Thursday 5 April

An early wake up call, and off o the airport for our 7.25am flight to London, with a connecting flight to Chicago. A short taxi ride away with a pleasant and helpful taxi driver, and we were at Tegel Airport. It is a very small airport, and has an unusual concept of checking in right at the gate, then passing straight through Immigrations and Security and directly into the gate lounge.







The flight was very full this morning, with a mix of business travellers and families. We settled into seats 3A and B on this Airbus A319, and were on our way after a short delay. They served a traditional hot English breakfast, with fruit and a selection of breads and pastries.










After a couple of extra cups of tea, we were on approach to London’s Heathrow airport. The transfer lounge at Terminal 1 for people with connecting flights was crazy, but thanks to the fast track queue for premium passengers, we were through security and onto the bus headed for Terminal 4 in no time.


Breakfast Breakfast Breakfast

British Breakfast, British sausage not German











On arrival at Terminal 4 we made our way to the British Airways lounges, and after checking out the First Class lounge, we decided on the Concorde room lounge instead, as it was less crowded and had a more spacious feel. We both took advantage of the Molton Brown Spa in the lounge area to have a complimentary back and shoulder massage, which was great, and loosened up some tight muscles. We ordered a selection of sandwiches from the menu, and read a few magazines. Soon it was time for boarding, and we made our way to the gate, not very far from the lounge.











Once on board the British Airways Boeing 747-400, there were only the two of us, and one other passenger. We were offered a glass of champagne, and then a flight attendant gave us amenity kits and sleeper suits. There was a slight delay to the flight as a Flight Attendant was sick, so they needed to arrange a replacement, which took about 30 minutes, so we took the time to change into our sleeper
Our 747 to ChicagoOur 747 to ChicagoOur 747 to Chicago

Ready to cross the Atlantic
suits. About an hour and a half later we took off as we had lost our take off slot.











We were served canapés; Jeff had a glass of Champagne, Perrier Jouet Belle Époque 1999, and Paul had a Bloody Mary. Our flight attended offered us the menu, and we chose almost the same except for Entree, where Paul chose the Smoked Salmon Tartare and Jeff chose the Warm Fetta and Mediterranean Vegetable Tart. We both chose the Wild Mushroom Soup with Truffle Gnocchi, which was excellent. The wine for both dishes was the Sancerre Clos Du Roy 2004 a great choice. The main course was a Rack of Lamb, with Moussaka with Wild Garlic and Tomato Confit, the wine was a Chateau Montrose Grand Cru 1994. Our dessert was an Orange Brioche Bread and Butter Pudding with Custard Sauce, and Paul chose a dessert wine, a Bonnezeaux 2003.

During the flight we watched the new Renee Zellwegger movie, Miss Potter and the accompanying documentary, about the life of the author Beatrix Potter. Unfortunately the screens on BA are very small, and the bright daylight in the cabin gives
1st Class Lounge1st Class Lounge1st Class Lounge

The Concorde Lounge
poor viewing. We passed the rest of the time snoozing, chatting with the crew and reading magazines. Prior to arrival into Chicago, we were offered a traditional English Afternoon Tea. Then we were informed that we would be arriving at O’Hare Airport in 45 minutes. We changed back into our clothes, and enjoyed great views over Lake Michigan before our smooth landing.

We had the usual grilling from the US Immigration officials. We were asked what our professions were, and why Paul was living in Australia but had a British Passport. Jeff was asked why he was off work for so long. How much money he had and were we had been and why. Welcome to the Land of the Free!

Once we had picked up our bags we got a cab to the hotel. The cabs are grotty and dirty. The cab driver drove like he was in the Paris to Dakar rally, it wasn’t frightening, but made us miss the clean and efficient cabs in Berlin. We also noticed that most cars are full of dents and scratches. This was our arrival to Chicago.




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

CanapesCanapes
Canapes

just right with a glass of Champagne
A relaxed passengerA relaxed passenger
A relaxed passenger

Jeff looking very happy
Paul's EntreePaul's Entree
Paul's Entree

Shaun Hill's Loch Fyne Salmon Tartare
Paul ready for the flightPaul ready for the flight
Paul ready for the flight

Enjoying a trip of a lifetime
Jeff's EntreeJeff's Entree
Jeff's Entree

Warm Fetta Cheese and Mediterranean Tart with Red Pepper Coulis
Our SoupOur Soup
Our Soup

Cream of Wild Mushroom soup with Truffle Gnocchi
Main CourseMain Course
Main Course

Rack of New Season Lamb
DessertDessert
Dessert

Orange Brioche Bread and Butter Pudding
Afternoon Tea Afternoon Tea
Afternoon Tea

a selection of Afternoon Tea Sandwiches
Afternoon Tea 2Afternoon Tea 2
Afternoon Tea 2

a selection of Afternoon Tea Pastries
EnglandEngland
England

Our last view of England
Irish CoastIrish Coast
Irish Coast

View of Ireland
Sshhh Sshhh
Sshhh

a sleepy passenger


Tot: 0.352s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb