CCMA - Day 11


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Idaho » Idaho Falls
September 17th 2012
Published: September 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

https://plus.google.com/photos/101506993269424417039/albums/5789126976043475345?authkey=CK-E3KWvn-fIPQ



Got a relatively early start 7:30 a.m. We ate breakfast at Buffalo Bill’s Irma hotel. He maintained two suites and an office here. The décor was authentic old western. The bar back was carved cherry with a carved buffalo head. There were many animals mounted on the wall, including elk, deer, moose, and sheep.



We left Cody about 8:45 (so much for an early start) the ride began through a canyon formed by the Shoshone River. At the risk of being redundant, it was beautiful. Again, another great day ahead, a little bit cool, but sunny, not perfect, but close enough. After we left the canyon we entered Yellowstone Park – everywhere I looked there was a picture begging to be taken.



Beautiful, stupendous magnificent, spectacular, I am sure that every superlative in the English language has been used to describe Yellowstone. No description, no matter how eloquent, can adequately convey the beauty of Yellowstone



Went to watch Old faithful and got there about 15 – 20 minutes after it erupted, which meant that we had anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour and a half until the next one. Rick & I walked the boardwalk they built to look at all of the other geysers. It was fascinating, needless to say,I took a lot of pictures. Then I went back to watch old faithful do its thing.



The weather took a turn for the worse, became cold and cloudy and it started to rain. We quickly left the park hoping to outrun the rain. We were successful – the rain headed in the opposite direction from the way we were going. Because it was so late, we decided not to go to Grand Teton National Park and go directly to Idaho Falls to spend the night.



We left Yellowstone via the western entrance. Of course the ride was beautiful. On the way out we saw Buffalo and Elk both very, very close.



We ran into a lot of wind and rain 90 miles outside of Idaho Falls. The rain only lasted about 15 – 20 minutes, and never got heavy. The rest of the ride was on a very nice wide straight road.



We arrived at Idaho Falls around 6:30, checked into the Holiday inn express and went next door to the Dixie diner for dinner.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb