Surf's up!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii
August 25th 2007
Published: September 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Although the Rockies were amazing, what got me through the week in the tent was the thought of the following week in Hawaii!!! We got a taxi from our hostel in Calgary at 4am to get our flight to the Island of O'ahu. We were staying in a hostel one street from Waikiki beach and the temperature on this island has never gone below 24c! Bring it on!

Went to the beach on our first day and managed to get a little bit burnt - even though I was in the shade - I don't know how I manage it! Then in the evening we watched competitors practice for the tandem surfing competition that was happening all week. They were amazing - lifting the girl up above their head in all sorts of gymnastic moves - and all this on water whilst balancing on a surf board!

The following day we went on a tour of the island with someone from the hostel who has lived there for years and studied Hawaiian history and culture. It was really good as he didn't just show us the tourist spots like most tours but showed us the real O'ahu. We picked fruits (pineapple, guava and mango) and nuts on route and then had a picnic on Sunset Beach and watched the sunset.

Next morning, Chris had a surfing lesson whilst I was chief photographer! I think he may have got up on the board once or twice and he then complained of chaffed nipples for the rest of the week!! Relaxed on the beach again and wandered around the shops. We went to a bar in the evening called the Yard House which did over 140 beers on draft - see photo!

The following day we hiked up Diamond Head in the morning (before it got too hot!) and then went snorkeling in Hanuama Bay. The snorkel sets we borrowed from the hostel were rubbish and leaked water but we managed to see quite a few big fish before we gave up!

On our last day we went to Pearl Harbour and saw the Arizona Memorial and the Bowfin submarine. We didn't bother with USS Missouri as once you're seen one warship.....or so I thought and as it was going to cost an extra $20 each, Chris agreed!!

We were meant to fly out on Saturday night at 10.15 getting to LA at 7am but they needed volunteers to come off the plane as it was full, so we thought why not!! They put us up over night in a plush hotel, paid for the taxi there and back and gave us some transportation vouchers. We were on the 1.05pm flight the next day but again they needed volunteers so guess what....we volunteered again! Had to get a flight an hour later and got another $600 worth of vouchers. This means we have about $1000 to spend on a flight using any of the one world carriers (AA, BA, Quantas etc). Good deal!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Phoning Nan on her birthdayPhoning Nan on her birthday
Phoning Nan on her birthday

Shame we woke them all up - damn time difference!!


Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb