Travel 2021


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii
June 22nd 2021
Published: June 22nd 2021
Edit Blog Post

Our “sugar tour” yesterday did not go as expected though we had a great day. Did not get on the road until 8:30, first stop the Pink Mocha Cafe for fancy coffees and teas to go. We were supposed to go this amazing bakery on the south coast for fresh malasadas and breads, but about 2/3 of the way there we stopped dead. After about 30 min and some gossip from hikers, we decided to turn around and go the northern route. Lucky we did, news this morning reported a downed power pole. Jeanne says because of the weather down south, poles tend to rot. It fell but not like we would think, The picture in the news has it snapped off about halfway up and standing upright in the street, held that way by the wires. Okay, no donuts. Heading back up north we spotted a thrift store and had to stop. Daughter and granddaughter found some Hawaiian shirts (granddaughter loves them, layers with tank tops). Across the street was a surf shop and hit that next. More shirts later we were back on road. Internet told us our next planned stop was temporarily closed, so changed plans again and instead of doing north route, we headed up to Saddle Road and a diagonal shot across from west coast to Hilo. There is an army base at the foot of Mauna Kea where they train for Afghanistan and the whole area used to be serviced by a narrow, winding two lane road. Now that road is strictly for the military because a new highway was built. Interesting trip across, rain, sun, clouds that covered the road because of high altitude and being in valley, sun, and finally rain. All of this in about 26 miles. By the time we got to Hilo we were starving. Made a quick run through Big Island Candies where everyone stocked up on Macadamia shortbread cookies and chocolates, then off to lunch. Ate at a cute restaurant, the Pesto Cafe in the historic section of Hilo across from a huge shoreline park. Sated, we headed to Volcano National Park to explore the Thurston Lave Tube and check out the cauldera crater. People actually walk across the floor of the crater. Not us. The girls walked down to see if they could get there, but I chose the comfort of the car. They took the wrong path though so missed it. The lava tube was amazing. You walk through this tunnel that is about 100 feet long, so you have to walk back at least that far back because it is one way only. By then it was 5:30 pm so we headed home again through the whole mixture of weather and exited Saddle Road to the beginnings of a magnificent sunset. We stopped at an overlook to take pictures. The sky was brilliant oranges and pinks as the sun set on the sea. Made it back here, spent a couple hours finishing puzzle three and starting puzzle four. Today we head to Mauna Kea for the observatories and sunset. Two more days here, can not beliece it went so quickly. Sitting by pool, drinking my tea and getting a little nostalgic. Until later, aloha.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.163s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb