Day 4 - Kaua'i - Waimea Canyon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Waimea
June 15th 2012
Published: June 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Poor Jordan has been suffering with a head cold for the past 2 days. Thought it was just a dose of hayfever that he would get past but no.

Headed up to Waimea Canyon today which is said to rival Nevada's Grand Canyon. Jordan was feeling lousy the whole way so we made a stop in Ele'ele to get him some medication - just like Oz the good stuff that actually works is locked up tight and I didnt have the right identification on me to get some for him. So we went with the 'placebos' which really were no help at all other than to give him a restful sleep - whcih really wasn't helpful considering where we were headed.

Anyhoo ... the trip to Waimea was on the complete opposite side os the island to where were staying in Kapa'a so it took about 40 mins to get there. Then there as the half hour drive up the mountain at a speed of no greater than 40km/h. Think great ocean Road with much tigher turns and heading up a mountain ... ok so not really a comparison lol.

There were a few cars parked on the side of the road that had taken various hiking trails, but we headed to the top to hopefully find one that we could drive cos Jordy really wasnt up for it. There was no rangers station at the top, only a carpark and a scenic lookout - but the veiws were magnificient!

There was a haze over the valley/canyon and to a point it didn't look quite real. messed up with the camera lens again today - took the zoom and not the other so we couldnt take some of the wider shots which would have done the place more justice. So learnt my lesson. taking both lenses everywhere from now on!!

OKay to I haven't seen the Grand Canyon to see how this one compares, but it was pretty impressive. This one was also covered in greenery and didnt have a real divide to make a floor. Several helicopters went over while we were there and I have to admit the view from there would have been amazing, but it was around $150 pp so a little out of my budget. What we saw was sufficient, I didnt feelshort changed in anyway.

The scenic lookout was all there was at that point and that was a little disappointing. Had thought there would be a little bit mre we could do but that was possibly back on the other side of the turnoff at Kokee State Park. Considered heading over that way for a looksee but was stopped by 2 things. First - Jordan was feeling really lousy and I really wasn't wanting to put him thru a trek and second, the dark clouds had begun to gather and there was serious chance of rain. Worse than driving at night, I didn't fancy the idea of trying to descend the hill in the rain, so we headed out. we had achieved our goal. We had seen the Canyon and there were a couple of stops wanted to make on the way home.

With Jordan dozing in the back seat, Maddy took a turn up front navigating ... fun fun fun ...lol just kidding she did ok. We headed to back down south towards Poipou and 'The Spouting Horn'. It's a blowhole close to land. Jordan opted to stay in the car when we arriveed which gave Maddy and I time to look at the market stalls by The Spouting Horn. They were mostly jewellery stalls and pretty much carried the same thing 😞

The blowhole was fun to watch as the tide rushed in and then forced its way thru a space far to small for all the pressure being forced at it. There was a small inlet nearby and we managed to glimpse a sea turtle !! And glimpse is the correct term. Cheeky bugger barely popped his head up for more than a second and even with my fancy new camera I wasn't able to get a pic of him. There are some with him just below the surface but nothing clear ... grrr.

We headed back to the stalls for one last look before we headed back to the hotel and a ouple things caught my eye on a stll we had skipped over the first time. There was a pretty abalone sheel necklace which I pulled out my cash to pay for when a gorgeous tiger necklace n black and organce called out to me. It was made of 'apple coral' which was near impossile to get anymore. It was $75, but it was worth it, however seems it was not to be. I didnt have enough cash on me and had to pay by card. Now my Visa has security chip, which most do, however, the eftpos machines these stall operators use have no end of troubles with chipped cards. Sufficce to say after 15 mins and much discussions with their support techs, we couldnt get it to validate my card and went home with only the abolone one 😞 Disappointed, but i guess it was a sign I was not supposed to have it ... pity.

Taking pity on Jordan we headed back tothe hotel after that so he could take a shower and rest. We have now seen the majority of the island it not everything on the island. Few things we want to get back to tomorrow on our last real day on Kaua'i. Sunday will be a write off as we need to pack up and transit to Maui.

Sigh .. photos still not working - wish you could see some of the things we have seen.Will have to add them when we get home. Aloha all

Advertisement



Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb