Travel 2021


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Waikoloa
June 21st 2021
Published: June 21st 2021
Edit Blog Post

Another gorgeous morning on the Big Island. It is only six o’clock but the sun is shining, the breeze is amazing and I am lounging in a chair on my own lanai writing this. Skipped a few days because we have been busy. Saturday we went to Waimea, about a third of the way across the northern part of island to hit local farmer’s markets. The fresh fruits and vegetables were amazing. All these wonderful pastries, fresh crepes that started out the size of a meat platter and then were folded with meats and veggies or into super sized desserts, fantastic wooden and pottery crafts, and even one shop that specialized in baked potatoes cooked on a rotisserie. Then we crossed over to the northern east side and drove down to checkout the view at Waipio Valley. That part of the coast is known for it’s magnificent cliffs and deep valleys. The trip from the top down is 6 1/2 miles on a winding single lane dirt road. We opted to skip that part and just take pictures of the valley and the breath taking views of the deep blue Pacific and the cliffs and islands nearby. Came back through winding, narrow roads and the ever changing panoramas. One minute you are looking at dry grasses and craggy lava, the next you are in green grassy rolling hills. Not a drive to take while looking at electronics, too much to see. As we got closer to “home”, the landscape changed again and there were many old cinder cones from eruptions hundreds and even thousands of years ago. The owners had left wooden jigsaw puzzles to work on, so we finished on the turtle one until it was time to walk to the King’s Marketplace for dinner. Didn’t even have to take the car, which was a good thing because our dinner was very large and we needed to walk it off. Started a puzzle depicting all the areas of the island, and had a good night’s sleep. It still blows my mind that I sleep in a room facing the ocean with wrap around screens and get to fall asleep to the sound of palms rustling. If I were a multi, multi-millionaire, I could stay here forever. And that is what it would cost, so I am enjoying every second I have here. Spent a couple hours in the infinity pool watching our tidal pool fill up and the birds come to feed. Jeanne had to prick up her husband from his fishing trip to Panama, so Gerri, Becky and I went souvenir shopping for their friends. Oops, time to start a new blog. See you soon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb