Surfing Hawaii


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
February 17th 2011
Published: February 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

SurfingSurfingSurfing

BIG waves
Thursday 17.2 O’ahu trip, Hawaii
Todays we wanted to go to the north coast to look for surfers and to see the Pearl Harbour memorial. We were off at 8, but at the Pearl Harbour memorial, we got tickets for the 9:45 show/tour to the Arizona memorial. The ‘come early’ advise applies – 1.3 million visit every year. The museum was very nice and on the ground there were different missiles and torpedoes – from second world war and also newer, like the tomahawk missiles etc. We would have liked to see one of the other attractions here like the Missouri destroyer, but each attraction was 60$, so we skipped it. It was a good movie, though I’m not sure what the japans visitors thought about it. It seemed that the exhibitions were ok on the Japanese coverage. The visit to the sunken Arizona with 1200 bodies seemed to move some of the visitors, though I didn’t find it that interesting.
We drove north on highway H2 to the north coast. Very fertile land – red earth like in Africa – and pineapple fields. On the coast, it seemed like it was the right day. All along the north shore, it was filled with cars, and when we parked, the waves were very high – measuring from my pictures, they would be 6 meters at least, and many, many surfers out there. I have never seen surfers and waves like that. There are big waves where I come from, but it is always in connection with a storm. Here there was hardly a wind, but the waves were huge. I once saw a TV show about this, and as far as I remember, it is winds up at Alaska that pushes the water like a small tsunami to the south, and then washes ashore here at Hawaii. I was very happy to have witnessed it. We continued to the northeast and southwards, stopping for lunch at a Subway sandwich restaurant. At a bay we waded out a bit (Anders did), and some drops of water sent us further on. Returning at the hotel with Birgitte and the children, Erik went to return the car at Alamo. Returning with a service car they had. Dinner again at Chilis – again a great dinner, with everybody happy.

Read the full story and see more pictures on my homepage version:


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

more surfingmore surfing
more surfing

- they are really good


Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb