Hiking on Oahu


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
April 24th 2010
Published: May 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We just about killed ourselves hiking up to Diamond Head one day. We dawdled over breakfast at the B&B where we were staying, taking pictures of a family of birds whose babies were just starting to leave the nest. Our B&B host, Bob, was so excited, and we took a bunch of pictures of the birds which Steve later printed to give to Bob. The only downside of that decision was that we didn’t get to the start of the hike until close to noon. They tell you to get an early start because it is a strenuous uphill hike with no shade, and it is hot. Well, they were right! Good thing we had our hats and lots of water, but Wow, it was much harder than we expected. We were rewarded by views of the high-rises of Waikiki below us, as well as sweeping views of the ocean below.

The next day we did an easy hike to see a lighthouse on the south shore. I guess we were tired from the hike the day before, because this also seemed really hard. It was a nice paved trail, but it was a steady uphill climb. When we first got to the parking lot, there was a fire truck and ambulance, and a lady sitting there with her arm all bandaged up. She had slipped off the side of the trail, and fallen and broken her arm. It was a reminder for us to be careful, as even easy paved trails can be dangerous. So we took it pretty easy. After the walk, we were hot and tired, so we rewarded ourselves by finding the first nice piece of beach and going for a swim and floating around on our boogie boards in the calm, cool ocean. Man, this is sure the life. Can we stay here? Please???



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb