Diamond Head


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
December 28th 2005
Published: January 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We actually woke up early enough today to be in time for the free breakfast at our hostel. We helped ourselves to a fully fledged serving of dry toast and some coffee Shannon thought tasted more like mud - but any form of caffeine was better than nothing for me.. Lack of sleep is bad - coffee is good.

Attached is a photo of our unit and an outside shot of the hostel with a few randoms from around the world hanging over the side. We haven’t socialised much with the other people here (apart from kiwi Peter and co) - we would probably make more of an effort, but as Sunita puts it, “yea but, they’re all Munters aye..” - which I would probably go along with - you know, the stoner boozaholic types with tattoos across their bodies. We did talk to a French guy who works on boats though and has sailed down and will be staying here for the next 8 weeks.

We were all pretty keen to get out of the tourist trap of Waikiki and see the rest of the island (i.e where the real people work / live / play). We decided that we wanted to climb Diamond Head which is a hill at the southern end of Waikiki. On the way to the mountain we went to the Aquarium. It was pretty good - had a few interesting fish and jelly fish, and you got a little "magic wand" that you type in numbers and it speaks to you about each exhibit, but it was really pretty small - not as big as Kelly Tarltons and you don't get to walk under water. By the way, there are limos everywhere in Hawaii.

We then set off for our trek up Diamond Head. We didn't bother actually finding out how to get to the place before hand, and just starting walking in the direction of the hill. Once we started getting close we asked an African American lady where to go.... "Oh Baaaby - that's so farrr, do you have a carrr?". From then on I was hassled for being called a baby.
She then pointed us in a direction that ended up being the opposite direction to where we really needed to go a did a full circle of the mountain, finding the entrance finally after 1 and a half hours - which by then was too late to go up.
But the walk around was pretty fantastic - we got a good taste of what the houses were like around there, some fantiastic mansions and pretty spectacular views.

Our feet were sore and we were determined to "knock the bastard off" some other day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb