Black Dog Roasting Over an Open Fire.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
December 15th 2006
Published: December 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Don’t Worry this journal is not really about roasting and eating dogs. In Hawaii, this is outlawed, though sometimes when a dog is missing, people may eye suspiciously the closest immigrant family in the neighborhood. As many of our ancestors here hail from countries that savor dog meat, the thought probably isn’t as repulsive to us here as it may be to folks in area where their descendents don’t. Even the native Hawaiians of pre-Captain Cook era, were believed to have eaten Fidos. Hence there is a popular comedic song played every Christmas here that starts with the above title, and sung to the tune of The Christmas Song.

As we are a multicultural society with Hawaiian Culture at the base, it is natural our Christmas here are celebrated with a different twist from the other regions of the U.S. As illustrated earlier, our Carols can be different for instance, Silent Night and Jingle Bells are commonly sung in the Hawaiian Language. The song “Mele Kalikimaka” is an original Hawaiian composed song, which many mainlanders, I think, are familiar with.

The words to the 12 Days of Christmas has been changed to our own version which goes like this. On the 1st day of Christmas my Tutu (Grandma) gave to me, “one Mynah Bird in one Papaya Tree.” It goes on with 2 coconuts, 3 dry squids, 4 flower leis, 5 big fat pigs, 6 hula lessons, 7 shrimps a swimming, 8 ukuleles, 9 pounds of Poi, 10 cans of beers, 11 missionaries and 12 televisions.

Of all the senses of taste, sights and sounds, the most affected by our culture I think definitely would be the sense of taste. We have foods of many different lands, plus our own fusion cooking and creations of confections which may or not be readily pleasing to non-locals. Chocolate covered macadamia nuts, Kona coffees, chocolate dipped shortbread cookies, possibly Japanese rice cracker or Arare, Hawaiian Taro Chips, etc. would probably be welcomed by anyone at Christmas time. The also very popular local snacks of Dry Squid or cuttlefish, preserved plums and fruits, Chinese style, or dried or deep fried seaweed may meet with some resistance though.

Though as on the mainland, many families will be dining on turkey, ham, mashed potatoes and salads at Christmas, we may also be dining on Kalua Pig, or whole pig cooked in an underground oven, as well as turkey giving it a distinct smoky flavor. Also popular is Poke (po-kay), a dish of diced raw tuna, with onions, seaweed, chili pepper, sesame seed oil and shoyu sauce. Not to mention sushi, sashimi, chow mein, adobo, lumpia, char siu, kim chee and other pickled vegetables and pig (not dog) roasted over an open fire.

Shopping for gifts may be a little different as our wardrobe, choice of snacks, artifacts, choice of books and CD’s may differ a bit, from our mainland cousins. Hopefully my photos can shed some light as to what I mean.



Additional photos below
Photos: 62, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Hawaiian Christmas Tree.Hawaiian Christmas Tree.
Hawaiian Christmas Tree.

Note pineapples and fish.
Ready for the Year of The Boar.Ready for the Year of The Boar.
Ready for the Year of The Boar.

Or pig. Pigs on T-Shirt won't sell as well, I guess.
Gyutaku Fish Print and Plates at Nohea's.Gyutaku Fish Print and Plates at Nohea's.
Gyutaku Fish Print and Plates at Nohea's.

Imprints made from actual fish.


Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb