There's this beach...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waimanalo
August 30th 2008
Published: August 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Since my brother, sister, and brother-in-law live in Waimanalo, I feel a familial obligation to make the trek at least once a year. Their house in the country is set on 3/4 acres and surrounded by lush plants on two sides and a neighbor's stable on the third. The true charm of their home is the Lanai. A covered, enclosed porch from which one can sit and enjoy the sounds of donkeys, roosters, and birds. Across the street is a beautiful garden that is hidden from the rest of the world and provides more plant life to the already jungle-like scenery.
Because they live in the country, the beach is five minutes away by car. This may seem undesireable to some, but it is actually a perfect arrangement for me. The best beach near their home is nicknamed "Sherwood" because of the rash of thefts that occur on busy weekends. Valuables are never to be left in the car. The parking lot is separated from the beach by an expanse of coastal firs. Once reached, however, the beach is mostly deserted. During holidays there are a few campers and several families who barbeque and, in my experience, are willing to invite you to join them.
The waters of this beach lean toward an unbelieveable blue-green. The waves are often strong, and during the summer months tend toward shore-break. This is, however, a perfect place to learn how to boogie board or body surf. The sand is easily reached for a great distance out. During the winter months, the swell tend to be larger. 6-7 feet. This is more difficult to learn in, but just as enjoyable if you know what you're doing. These waves are much too strong for the cheap boards as they are easier to break, as I learned the hard way!
During the winter the waters and beach can also be more active with Portuguese Man 'O Wars and jelly fish. Both of which are no fun to deal with. The best advice I have recieved in regards to a man 'o war sting was to rub it with sand and get back in the water because "we have to be back at the house for dinner in an hour!". Oddly enough, it worked well for me!
There are lifeguards on this beach, too. However, it is a large area and anyone who is not a strong swimmer is recommended to swim near the perch. This location also boasts clean bathrooms and showers. Be prepared, though. The showers are open air and set up in dorm fashion. It is not unusual for campers to shower nude here.
Also, remember to rinse off any equipment you bring. As well as your own feet! A lot of the rental car agencies will charge for excessive sand removal.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb