First Day in Paradise Continued


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waikiki
April 30th 2010
Published: April 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The jet lag was too much to continue blogging last night. Could not finish the day's adventure.

Our chariot driver, Sandy Santiago took us to the marriage license bureau where, it turned out, we were next in line. This kept us from having second thoughts as there was no time to reflect. Sherry, the licensing rep, was very thorough and efficient. She copied our already completed application without making a mistake. 15 minutes later and $60.00 poorer we exited the building half way home. The other half comes Saturday evening.

Sandy and Lucille then took us to The Kahala Hotel and Resort for lunch. What a marvelous place - more orchids adorning the place than in a florists' shop. This hotel has a story as it has had many celebraties stay there over the years. While filiming Hawaii Five-O, Jack Lord stayed at the hotel. Vanda behaved so no "book 'em Danno" was heard. The restaurant was an open-air, under cover affair and we had birds as guests periodically. Food was great.

After lunch we took time in the lobby to discuss genealogy as Vanda had brought a court document, which we had uncovered in Puerto Rico last year, for them to translate. Both Sandy and Lucille's Spanish has degenerated over the years so they were not able to help much. But it was worth it to try. We also discovered that my grandfather and Sandy's father (half-brothers) could have known of each other as they lived in the same town growing up and are about seven years apart in age. Needless to say, a fun time was had by all. The most exciting news we learned on the drive back to the Kale Hoa - Sandy had a photograph of my great-grandfather! Something I had been searching for since we first went to Puerto Rico. Now we will get a copy to add to the family photograph wall.

Back at the hotel, we changed and put on our walking shoes. Vanda had been having the addicitive urge to go shopping at the International Market - more vendors than Carter has Little Liver Pills. We spent the rest of the afternoon there and Vanda was satiated for the moment. Bought nothing - now that's what I call bargain hunting!!

The evening found us at the Luau sponsored by the hotel. The food was great and plentiful - chicken, pork, beef, coated and fried banana, mahi mahi, seaweed salad and cucumber/papaya salad. Lots of fresh pineapple. The performers did a variety of dances from aound the South Pacific - Hawaii, Tahiti, Samoa, New Zealand - and the Hulu dancers were outstanding. Vanda isn't much of a show watcher, but she was a trooper last night - just for me. Must be true love?!

As an aside to the Luau, we had a Vietnamese family sitting with us - the table sat 10. There was an aunt and as best as we could gather, her sister, a family friend with husband and her sister's husband and children. They had come over to attend the Washington State University graduation of the sister's daughter. The boy sitting next to me was about 17. When asked where he was from in Vietnam, he said Ho Chi Minh City. The same question to the aunt, who left days before the fall, elicited the answer of Saigon. Interesting what age and distance from an event will do in terms of history. Now wer're heading off to Pearl Harbor for some sightseeing.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0177s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1013.3kb