Back to the future and aloha!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waikiki
August 2nd 2008
Published: August 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi all and welcome along to out travel blog. Hopefully you'll find our travel stories and photos interesting as we make our way along our three month world tour.

We're Checking In


So our trip got off to a good start, apart from a slight malfunction of Hayley's suitcase and a pair of forgotten shoes. We left Perth around 7:30pm on a Friday night and had a pretty good flight to Auckland, apart from them mocking us with stickers on the back of the chairs that looked like TV's, which were there to tell us personal TV's were being installed on these plans over the next few months. After about five and a half hour we touched down in Auckland airport which seemed nice, and managed to find a nice couch for a bit of a rest. Our next leg took about 8 hours and again was pretty good. Air New Zealand has good service and the food was pretty good too. Plus the nice New Zealand wines were an added bonus. I wanted everyone to say choice and cheers bro to him but unfortunately no-one did.

Back to the Future - Island Style


After leaving Perth at 7:30pm on a Friday and Auckland at 11am Saturday, we landed in Honolulu around 9pm on the day before, craziness!

Aloha (hello) and Mahalo (thanks)


Spending five nights in Hawaii was a great way to start the trip. We managed to slip right into island lifestyle, with beautiful warm weather and very warm water. Our humble place in Waikiki was nice and clean and only 1 min walk from the main Waikiki beach. If you lent out over our balcony we actually had ocean glimpses. We spent most of our time in Hawaii relaxing and seeing the sights via the island bus and swimming lots. Some highlights included visiting the north shore in the spirit of the movie, snorkeling at Hanuama Bay (for Elvis fans this is where Blue Hawaii was filmed) going to a luau and many sunsets, along with nice island cocktails. As a side point, I, like Rick Cain, did go to surf the big waves of the north shore, unfortunately it was as flat as a tack, so we settled for a nice swim and Waiema Bay. On the last day Chris hired a long board and headed out to reignite his surfing skills at Waikiki.
Hanuama BayHanuama BayHanuama Bay

Doing our cool Elvis impression
I managed to get a few waves but was shown up big time by many 5 year old Hawaiians. Hayley does have video footage of this. At the luau Hayley went up on stage to show off her hula skills and has a certificate to prove she's now skilled in this art.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb