When Kyoto Met Waikiki. (Restored Lost Blog)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waikiki
November 30th 1999
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post


This past Sunday evening the streets of Waikiki looked more like the streets of Kyoto, Seoul, Naha or Hong Kong as the 28th Annual Pan-Pacific Parade took place. The event is a Japan sponsored function to promote friendship, culture exchange and fun between Japan and the Local cultures. The previous morning, there was another parade through Downtown and Waikiki honoring King Kamehameha (See Previous Journal). One would think it’ll be more sensible to have spread these events, let’s say at least a week or 2 apart, but hey, I just live here. Well, I’m not complaining as I love a parade anytime or anywhere.

Basically various culture groups came from Japan specifically to participate in the event, such as traditional clowns, percussion bands, dancers, singers, etc. Usually at end, something new and interesting are featured. In the past year, it was a towering rack of lighted lanterns, pulled on a cart. Every now and then the rack had to be lowered to go under the St. light fixtures, which in itself was an interesting sight. Also the carts weren’t just pulled in a straight line; it sort of meandered side to side almost like it was being pulled by a band of drunkards with often gave the effect it might crash into the crowds, but of course, would swerve away just in time. It gave a bit of an effect of danger and excitement.

This year’s finale featured a tall dragon. It consisted of a huge body that needed to be hoisted by a group of strong young men on their shoulders. The head itself was on a tall pole, and like the lantern tower mentioned previously, the dragon would meander side to side along the street and as it got closer to the spectator, it head would suddenly seem to come crashing into the crowd, yet of course stop short, just in the nick of time. Though it’s probably a Japanese traditional dragon, It seems like they have trained a bunch of strong local boys to man the dragon, while the overseers who were Japanese, would use coaching whistles to directed the boys on the managing of it’s actions. Good example of cross cultural training, I’d say.

Local groups such as the various Chinese Lion dance groups, Korean Dance troupes, Japanese Taiko Drummers, Okinawan Panraku, Judo Clubs, Beauty Queens, Band from Englewood California, etc. etc. participated.




Additional photos below
Photos: 86, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 86; dbt: 0.0767s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb