aboard the good ship 'euphoria'


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Honolulu
July 22nd 2008
Published: July 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

sunburn has healed and the boat has arrived! flipping fantastic!!! i got the call three days ago that the ship was passing diamond head crater... just southeast from waikiki... i looked out my window of the hotel room and there it was... my home to be... running parallel with the shore. i greeted my boat-mates proper... fresh leihs and bottles of wine in tow. surprisingly, they seemed rather refreshed and relaxed for spending the last 17 days at sea. after the initial greeting, rounds of beer were bought, and a seafood dinner served.
i will be traveling with ian the skipper and his daughter, krysia. a delighful pair who have graciously taken me in. i moved on board two days ago and have greatly enjoyed their company. life on board will be easier than a originally thought... my only true responsibility will be a three hour night watch (between 3-6am)where i'll need to be awake and vigilant not to collide with whales or cargo ships. after that the day is my own to do with as i please. my goal is to of course learn as much as i can about sailing the open sea , but outside of that and cooking a dinner every third night... just a whole lot of reading and thinking will be going on.
we depart within the next 12-36 hours. thereafter communication will be extremely limited. i will be in touch as much as i can. i greatly appreciate the feedback and hope to keep everyone in the loop to enjoy this random adventure as well. it keeps 'home' close to hear how everyone is doing and what everyone is up too. to quote, 'the motorcycle diaries'... "travel can be the loneliest road" i miss you all and look forward to our roads crossing again.
and with that... i bid everyone a fond farewell and happy moments.
until soon from some unknown island in the great pacific...
· /
raymond -- O --
/ ·




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



22nd July 2008

Nice
Cool story brother, isnt technology and internet amazing. What would this experience had been like 50 years ago without it! peace
22nd July 2008

Godspeed Red Voyager!
Good luck Ray! It will be the adventure of a lifetime. Don't know much about sailing, but just go as fast as you can, and if something is in your way..turn. The vessel sounds aptly named. This is not goodbye, it's just see you later. Just remember, no matter how things change, Bri will always be the same. Enjoy!
22nd July 2008

Ray, I so enjoy reading about your adventure. As the others have noted............I plan to live vicariously thru you for the next several weeks. Be safe......have fun and we'll wait to hear from you again at the next stop. Hope you've stocked up on new sun screen! Sandy
22nd July 2008

Euphoric
Things to do before taking off on the seas: 1) Watch Dead Calm 2) Buy a spear gun (consider taking a small pet with you just in case you need added excitement) 3) Watch The Bounty 4) Learn how to speak Tahitian (Get one of those cool tattoos now and get a leg up on the other wayfarers when you arrive...) 5) Buy extra sunscreen... Things to remember while out there... 1) Remember which direction to pee off the boat 2) Never - Never bargain with midgets on small craft (They are better at it than you - and you might loose a finger) 3) Remember that all those funny things you see at 3am are not a figment of your imagination... (Including the mermaids) 4) Keep a vigilant watch for Icebergs - never let your gaurd down - ever - and if the captain says it isn't the season for icebergs - then keep a watch anyway..... Wish I was going wit ya!! Maybe we will sail Cool Change down there and hook up! Cheers Mate!!!!!! And best of travels - write soon and often.
23rd July 2008

The Adventure Begins
All right kid, the adventures begin Wed. morning aboard the good ship Emphoria. How sweet this is going to be - happy and safe times - will be looking at your site often. Love the pictures. Cowboy Dad
23rd July 2008

Bon Voyage
Hey Ray, Glad to hear that the sunburn has healed, you should know better! The ship looks awesome and it sounds like your traveling companions are great too! Although I do think you could get along with just about anyone! Hope you have lots of good books to read along the way! I would kill to just grab a few days with no resposibilities to catch up on some good books. Enjoy yourself and throw out a sunset toast to me! Love Ya! Barb
23rd July 2008

"When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." - The Alchemist Safe journey, see ya on the flipside. Amber
24th July 2008

yo dude!
Wow! this stuff sounds amazing...you are living your dream! Im so excited for you. Im in Guatemala about to go and volunteer with some nesting turtles! take care and dont forget the sea sickness pills! lots of love, Angel
12th August 2008

Looking for the next update
I was just thinking that we should have heard from you by now. Not sure if your stop in the line islands will allow for internet access or not. I am hoping to hear that you were not sick the whole time while out to see. Keep us posted and I hope the rest of your trip is safe as well as adventurous.

Tot: 0.371s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 98; dbt: 0.1478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb