little beach drumming circle and iao valley


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui
July 28th 2009
Published: July 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

let me first start by saying that i have sand everywhere and it won't go away. now, if you know me, you will know my love/hate relationship with sand... i love the beach and the ocean, but when it comes to the actual sand, i absolutely hate it. it is so persistent! and gets everywhere! and never leaves! i will probably find sand in my ass a month after i am back from my trip...

but let's start from the beginning shall we? sunday morning, we all woke up a bit tired from our previous day of hiking the volcano, so the day started a little slower than usual... but after some breakfast, we were all ready for big and little beach and the party that usually takes place there every sunday. after our usually stop at safeway for some supplies, we headed to the beach. we all chose to go to little beach (the naked beach), as it is where the drumming circle and party are, and settled amongst the crowd already scattered. now, most of you probably know the episode of seinfeld where jerry's girlfriend is always naked? and we find out that there are two kinds of naked: good naked, and bad naked. well... putting an umbrella in the sand? bad naked. being pummeled by the waves? bad naked. being over 60 years old? BAD NAKED. it was mostly bad. but what can you do. hippies will be hippies. i had a wonderful day, watching and listening to the drumming circle, and going into the ocean whenever it would get too warm. i have a love of diving under waves. and of watching the sunset as the sun sets. and of maui in general really.

i only got a couple comments from inappropriate men wanting me to take off my top... apparently, it must work with some since they keep trying... but don't worry! i didn't do it! i am not a floosie...

after watching the sunset from remote rocks, we returned to the drumming circle to discover that the flaming pois had come out, and that we were now being treated to some fire entertainment as well. some of those people are extremely talented! the return to the van was a sad one, as we all wanted to stay longer... but apparently, they do close the beach party down at 8pm and send all the hippies home anyways, so they weren't too far behind us!

the party continued well into the night at the hostel, with some observations of public flirting and all that is entailed in hostel debauchery. i do enjoy the whole scene of hostels, where people hook up just because they want to get laid, but not necessarily because they like the person in any way. there is just one intention here, and it usually involves some sexual activity... funny really. the next mornings are usually even more entertaining as people have to face each other and act in a civilized manner. one of my roommates didn't get back to the room until 6am, which lead to some interesting stories and behaviours the next day. she still has not retrieved her bikini bottom from the other room...

monday morning was an early start. the other roommate's phone rang about 15 times, at which point i thought i was going to throw it out of the window. i gave in and got up, which was good timing since a couple friends were heading out to the iao valley early to have the rest of the day free. i hopped in with them, and we did the short trek to the valley, which is quite reminiscent of mayan peru, with it's steep lush green hills and clouds rolling in. after a few pictures, we decided to do a short trip to lahaina, which i had visited the previous wednesday. we got coffee and did a bit of shopping on the strip, then had to return since our driver, ben from switzerland, was actually flying out in the afternoon. helen and i decided we shouldn't waste the day, and decided to go on adventures to the beach.... well, it was indeed adventures. the trip took about 3 hours (partly our fault), and we got off at the wrong spot and got assaulted by a windstorm shooting sand into our calves at very high speeds... after walking for a bit trying to find a place to settle, we finally found a bus stop and waited for another 30 minutes for the next bus. by the time we got to the good beach it was about 5:30. but we settled down, despite the continued sand pummeling, which forced us to cover our faces and sometimes our bodies. we watched at beautiful maui sunset (is there ever a bad maui sunset?), and were off again on the buses.... well the good news is that we made it back to wailuku in time to get pizza before they closed for the night....

Advertisement



28th July 2009

bahaha thank god you're not a floosie...

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb