Thirty Days In Paradise


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui
May 19th 2004
Published: February 28th 2006
Edit Blog Post

An Open Letter from Bernie and Rita post Maui Vacation....


Aloha dear friends,

Almost everyone has the experience of some sort of vacation - the Initial Planning, the Anticipation, The Day One Departs, and the End! When Rita earned her Sabbatical last year we settled on a month in Maui, HI and afterwards a month in Seattle.

How time flies...we are back home in Seattle and we thought we’d share a few memories from the Isle of Maui with you.

Although we are very familiar with the island since we have made many trips to it starting in 1982, we had never been able to afford a full month stay in a condo. This was a unique vacation in that respect.

The Condo:
Our rental unit was the same one we used two years ago thus even that part of the vacation was easy to slip into. It’s on the 4th floor of a six-floor building complex in Kihei. It faces the ocean. Thus, the sounds of waves washing up on the sandy beach played tunes for our ears 24/7. At times we’d find ourselves just sitting on the lanai starring out to sea literally mesmerized by the beauty of the sights, smells and sounds.

The swimming pool area also contained a hot tub and a “kiddy pool” as well as a covered zone with tables and chairs for those seeking temporary relief from the tropical sun (The latitude for Maui is 20 degrees North). Outdoor showers were available to rinse off the chlorine one always finds in pool water or simply to wash sand off feet following a nice beach stroll.

Food and drinks were within 100 feet at a neat place called the “Sandwitch.” So was a small grocery market.


RESTAURANTS:
Truly, the toughest decision a Maui tourist must make every day is where to dine! Eatery guidebooks are as prevalent in Maui as Starbucks shops in Seattle. Plus, several eateries are so popular that common ads are never required - word of mouth points to their direction. Such a place is Mama’s Fish House in the neat town of Paia. Our plan was to eat lunch out and cook in for dinner. We never doubled back on a restaurant in the entire month! I like fish - so wasn’t I in heaven? Examples of fish consumed by Bernie: Opakapaka, Ahi, Mahi-Mahi, Mong Phong, Hamachi, Uku, and Ono. Mahi-Mahi was the fresh catch of the day several times so I tried it cooked every way possible. Rita has more traditional culinary tastes and preferred meat dishes. Sticker shock for prices goes away after a couple of visits. LOL. One does gets accustomed to paying $4.00 for a small glass of orange juice or $42.00 for Tahitian Prawns. Of course tipping is a big deal with all places adding an automatic 18% gratuity to any table of 6 or more persons. They all graciously accommodated requests for “doggy bags.”

What we just love about eating anyplace on Maui is the openness with which diners can communicate with nature. Birds constantly flew in and among tables providing a daily source of added enjoyment. The wonderful smell of plumerias and the sea breezes added zest to the appetite. And, the more elegant places such The Plantation House in Kapalua or the SeaWatch in Wailea which are located on absolutely gorgeous golf courses provided breathless panoramic views.

Special Places:
We are fortunate to have friends who live in Lahaina, Maui. They are retired school teachers who have children living in Seattle with whom we are also friends. The Kutsunais had a beautiful orchid plant delivered at our condo doorstep the day we arrived. A tradition which was recently started with them is a Sunday Brunch at the Maui Prince Resort. One must allow about three hours for the umpteen courses available! For example, the desert tables contained three dozen delectable treats. Yummy.......

Another occasion for a special night out was the day Bernie became an official senior citizen, age 65, and the four of us celebrated with a unique dinner show. It was a fantastic family-oriented magic show. It was as good as anything we had ever observed.

The Ocean Center in Maui is an attraction for all ages interested in the biology of our oceans. Huge manta rays swim amongst moray eels, sharks and dozens of oceanic species common to the local waters. We visited the new additions since our last tour two years ago and had a delicious lunch in their own cafe.

Epilogue:
By the time the fourth and last week of our vacation arrived we were so laid-back and rested that it was a challenge to walk on the beach. We really became affected by the routine and we certainly grew to love the ease of comfortable dress. In two minutes one could be ready to lock the condo door and depart for any type of occasion - the short pants and top - was all that was required. No formality. No frills. We’ll go back.

Aloha,

Bernie & Rita

Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1011s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb