Bears in the briny...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui
November 29th 2006
Published: November 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Three Bears on a BenchThree Bears on a BenchThree Bears on a Bench

Cruising across Ma'alaea bay towards Molokini

…or what does it take to get a hole in one?



Day four of Bears in Paradise brought an early morning. We had to be up and out the door by 6:25 AM to catch our boat to Molokini. So off we went in the dawn’s early light. A quick stop at McDonalds for breakfast, just as an aside, if you are here in the islands McDonalds offers a modified menu including a banana pie (delicious) and Spam and eggs for breakfast (seriously).

So we arrived at Ma’alaea harbor in good time, got checked in and we were off. Captain John was at the helm in his 20th year of service. Crusty and funny and weird all rolled into one, a true gem. The conditions were PERFECT. Flat seas, clear skies, and we could see all the way to the top of Haleakala, a very rare occurrence in these parts. I took it as a sign, which was important because we hadn’t heard the moon report on the way down.

After a tour around the back of the atoll, which I have never done, we had, two hours of bears in the briny, bobbing and diving, looking at
Look... it's HaleakalaLook... it's HaleakalaLook... it's Haleakala

Not often is it seen in it's full grandure.
the gorgeous marine environment. A lovely lunch and then motored back over calm seas. We stopped just outside the harbor to greet the green sea turtles that are now nesting once again in the islands and then back to dock. What a perfect trip, and it was only noon.

We had a brief stop at Wally World (Wal Mart) to please Mr. Johnson and pick up some items, then back here to the condo to relax the afternoon away. You might think that was the end of the day, because how could we top that, well just read on.

So after resting and some more briny, we showered and set off for Aloha Mixed Plate, a local eatery in Lahaina, that serves food local style. This is our first true find since we have been here. DELICIOUS and great drinks too. Set outside on the water it was lovely. Then off to indoor miniature golf by black light, yes Glow Put. Oh my goodness… what a fun funky thing that was, and yours truly took the cup as the Glow Put Champion, with two holes in one.

Well I think that is enough for today. Day five
It's Mr. TurtleIt's Mr. TurtleIt's Mr. Turtle

Just out here mugging for the tourists. Feel free to tip.
of Bears in Paradise lies ahead and who knows what kinds of mischief we can get into?

Aloha!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Glowing BearsGlowing Bears
Glowing Bears

THis picture some how captures the feeling more than the actual look of the event. Apparently I had the camera set on aura.


Tot: 0.14s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0428s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb