Oh my Maui


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui » Lahaina
July 11th 2019
Published: July 21st 2019
Edit Blog Post

Bananas!Bananas!Bananas!

Now to get them down.
While spending two months with family on Oahu, my husband and I decided to take a side trip to Maui. It was the last of the larger Hawaiian islands that we had not visited and felt it was a good time to check it out.
We boarded the plane late in the afternoon, got settled in and waited for take off which we did promptly. When our wheels lifted off the tarmac I glanced at my watch ( 4:30 p.m. ), the flight attendants had enough time to efficiently deliver water or pog juice and a pak of pretzels. 5 minutes later the attendants did a pass through for used containers and took their seats for landing before our wheels glided onto the tarmac. Glancing at my watch one more time I noted that lift off to landing was exactly 15 minutes.
That made for a very enjoyable flight, even more so for me because if I am on a flight longer than 45 minutes or altitude over 10,000 feet i need to use my portable oxygen concentrator to supplement my oxygen supply due to an ongoing lung condition.
Upon disembarking and gathering luggage etc. we ventured out to the tram that would take us to pick up our rental car. It's a cute trolley looking automated tram that glides up to the platform, opens the doors and allows a few minutes for passengers to load. The doors close and off you go. Don't worry, if you miss that one, another will be along in 8 minutes.
The first stop after picking up the rental car in my mind should be the beach! But, in actuality it's Costco for beach fun items and the usual food and toiletries. Costco is very close to the airport ( 1.6 miles)! Of course everyone on our plane plus others had the same idea but with visions of warm sand and blue water soon on your feet you get through with a smile and much aloha. Next up, a scenic 45 minute drive to our Maui getaway in peaceful Lahaina.
After checking in to our quaint one bedroom just north of Lahaina we decided to check out our area. Stepping out onto our ground floor lanai we found a decent view of the water and what would be wonderful sunset viewing. Perfect for morning coffee and evening cocktails.
The grounds had beautiful fragrant flowers, bright green trees, foliage and bananas from bright green to yellow.
The pool was located close to the beach so while swimming in the pool it was possible to hear the surf. The lounge chairs lined up on the deck would be a great place to meet locals and visitors to learn of all the best places to visit and activities to enjoy. It would also be another sunset viewing spot. The Maui sunsets are never the same but always beautiful. A few steps down and there is a soft Sandy Beach that often has a couple of honu ( Hawaiian sea turtles) lounging and getting rested up for their next water adventure. Remember to always let the turtles have plenty of space and respect. That is their beach.
Across the street and down a block or so we could see a health food market, a coffee shop, Mexican market and deli and a clothing boutique and gift shop. We would be sure to venture out to explore in the morning but for now, it's time to unpack and settle in for ten days of Maui fun!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

HonuHonu
Honu

Every time I looked I would see three turtles out swimming and eating


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb