Orientation, culture and ocean!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kaua'i
September 21st 2016
Published: September 21st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Aloha!



Day 2 started with a visit from Shana from Kauai Habitat for Humanity. It was great to get to meet her and the staff at Kauai Habitat, including a tour of the ReStore. She reaffirmed why we were here... to help make the dreams of others come full circle. She shared her story which includes her journey to homeownership through Habitat. We were lucky enough to get a tour of her beautiful home!

After orientation, we were off to energize with a trip to Kauai Coffee Co. - the largest U.S. coffee estate. It was beautiful and interesting all at the same time. Kauai Coffee Co. is located adjacent to the Eleele Habitat for Humanity site where we are building, and we learned that the land we are building on was donated by Kauai Coffee Co.

We wrapped up the afternoon with a trip to Salt Pond Beach, shared sun, laughter and waves!

The evening was here! We made our way to the Smith Family Luau.. a beautiful 30 acre estate owned by the Smith Family. We were given a tour of the grounds via tram, a history of the family, some cultural demonstrations, including preparing the pork via the Imu.. an underground oven. Dinner was delicious and was followed by an informative and entertaining lesson on how to properly hula! After that, we were shuffled to the theater for an outstanding demonstration of dance and other cultural traditions of the Pacific!

Aloha!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb