Oct 26 Blog entry - Final


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kaua'i
October 26th 2010
Published: November 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

While our last official build day was Saturday, Oct 23rd, we spent a few extra days in Hawaii after the build. We will close out our blog with this entry. If you've read our previous entries, hopefully you observed that indeed there is alot of hard work on builds. The main purpose of this trip was to help Habitat for Humanity with their mission in providing decent affordable housing for families in need. But, let us assure you there is also plenty of fun throughout a build like this. This blog entry will share some additional pictures of some of the activities we did after our build.

On Sunday, Oct 24th we again went to church in the morning to start the day our right! From there, we split up and enjoyed a day of sightseeing on the north shore of Kaua'i. Some team members opted to visit the Kilauea Point Lighthouse and National Wildlife Refuge and then spent some time shopping. Some team members that chose this option were also able to catch a portion of the Green Bay Packers game (YES, we beat the Minnesota Vikings! GO PACK GO!) 😊 A few others chose to do another hike with Kurt.

The hike with Kurt was amazing. In total, it was an 8 mile hike - 2 miles up and down to the coast/beach, 2 miles all up to the Kalalau Trail Waterfall, and 4 miles back. Some members opted to stop and relax at the beach instead of continuing to the waterfall.

On Monday, Oct. 25th, we left the island of Kaua'i and flew to Maui for 2 days. We all attended the Old Lahaina Luau on Monday night. Some of our team members planned a zip lining tour early on Tuesday morning but due to high winds that got cancelled. An additional drive up the coast took the place of the zip lining. Though it was very windy, other team members were still able to enjoy their planned helicopter siteseeing tour.

On Wednesday, we left the island of Maui and flew to Oahu. Several team members vistied Pearl Harbor and Diamond Head. Most of us enjoyed going to the International Market Place across from our hotel, picking up souvenirs and gifts for our loved ones back home.

We left Oahu around 4:20pm and arrived back in Chicago around 5:00am. A three hour layover allowed us to wake up, eat a little breakfast, laugh a little more....We left Chicago at 8:00am and arrived in Appleton around 8:45am. It was great to see our family and friends after being away for 2 weeks.

Thanks for following our journey. God Bless!

Until the next one my friends. 😊





Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 88; dbt: 0.0805s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb