Oct 20th Blog Entry - Build Day #3


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kaua'i
October 20th 2010
Published: October 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today, our build tasks were pretty much picking up where we left off from Tuesday. But of course, we first met at the Habitat Restore and did some misc. tasks there for the first hour+. Myself (Greg), Lisa (our awesome photographer), and Alex (AmeriCorps volunteer) worked a bit on attempting to upload some videos to the blog so we could share them with you, but due to technical glitches, we were not successful. We’ll keep trying 😊 Worst comes to worst, we’ll upload once we get back (you’ll get updates).

Once Bob was ready for us, our team again split up into groups for the day - several went back to the home to work on hurricane reinforcement tasks and several others stayed and continued to assembly the remaining 8 trusses for the porches. Beth, Marilyn, and Kathy L stayed back at Habitat Restore and volunteered helping organizing books, cd’s, etc. Our sub-teams join up again later at the home once the trusses were completed.

We went to the Salvation Army Community Center for an early lunch today and we have plans to do this again on Friday. Of course, I’m sure we stood out - we all had our red Thrivent Builds t-shirts on 😊. It was great to interact with the local residents but not so great seeing some of the harsh reality. There are numerous residents that use the Salvation Army Community Center as a source for food and other essentials. Our team can’t but help think we are making a small difference by putting our faith into action and working with Habitat to provide decent housing for families in Kaua’i.

When our work day was done, we went back to our cabins and did miscellaneous things. It was laundry night for the team, and from the looks of the bags collected, we all certainly were in need of some clean clothes.

Our team was also very fortunate tonight as chef Roger graciously offered to prepare dinner. We had left over beef and chicken from Monday night and Roger whipped up some pasta alfreado and garlic bread to go along with that. Other help members helped prepare salad, watermelon, and we even were treated to snack size chocolate bars for dessert.

We will leave you today by circling back to Sunday’s church service and a song that caught Brett’s attention and mentioned it during his devotion today. Verse 1 is especially fitting for why we are here.

Song of the Body Of Christ
Refrain: We Come to share our story, we come to break the bread, we come to know our rising from the dead.
1. We come as your people, we come as your own, united with each other love finds a home
2. We are called to heal the broken, to be hope for the poor, we are called to feed the hungry at our door.
3. Bread of life and cup of promise, in this meal we all are one. In our dying and our rising, may your kingdom come.
4. You will lead and we shall follow, you will be the breath of life; living water, we are thirsting for your light.
5. We will live and sing your praises, "Alleluia" is our song. May we live in love and peace our whole life long.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb