Oct 18th Blog Entry - Why we are here


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kaua'i
October 18th 2010
Published: October 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today was our first day on our build. We started out by meeting at the Kaua’i Habitat Restore store for safety and orientation. After that, we spent an hour+ working at the Restore site, sorting thru numerous boxes with bed headboards, footboards, and side rails - with the goal of finding matching sets so they could be immediately be put on the store floor for sale.

During our orientation session, we learned some interesting statistics:

* As you would probably guess, land is very expensive here. Roughly, for an average size lot it costs in the
neighborhood of $150,000 - $200,000.
* In addition to the land costs, the cost to build an average size home can cost between $75,000 and $125,000.
* There are upwords of 1,400 families today interested in working with Kaua’i Habitat in hopes that home ownership
may become a reality for them some day.
* Like other Habitat affiliates, families must meet certain requirements in order for them to qualify for a Habitat home.
This includes:
a. Must contribute 700 sweat equity hours
b. Must demonstate a need
c. Must be able to afford a loan for the home


After sorting thru the bed boxes and ultimately finding 2 full sets for the store floor, we headed to the home that our team will help build. Once this home is complete, it will offer a place for future build teams to stay in (there are numerous houses planned for this area), and eventually will be a home for a family in need. The home we are helping build will be a 4 - 5 bedroom home.

When we pulled up to the build site, we quickly noticed the framed but roof-less house standing. We learned our major focus for the week will be concentrated on the roof. Several pictures are included today…The first showing a picture of the house when we first drove up. Next, a few pictures showing us working throughout the day. The last picture shows are progress for day 1 of the build - all tresses installed. It was a very productive day for our team!

We left the build around 5:00pm and headed to the beach for the first time since we arrived on Saturday. It was a great day and we are looking forward to day#2 of the build.

Stay tuned….more to come soon. Thanks to everyone at home for your support and prayers. God Bless!



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



20th October 2010

God bless you for what you're doing!
You've made awesome progress. I hope things continue to go well for you. Can't wait to hear the "tire" stories. I hope God continues to bless you with productive, safe and fun days!
21st October 2010

You guys are awesome!
I can't believe the progress in ONE day, that's amazing! I love following the blog, it's a fun way to take part in this mission trip without actually being there. Prayers are going out for all of you! Thanks for all you do!!!

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb