Kauai - Day 1 - Arrival


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kaua'i
March 8th 2007
Published: March 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The flight to Honolulu was long but fine. I napped and read. We got to the airport in Honolulu and since we had 4 hours to kill before our flight, we hopped into a (the only?) bar/restaurant for Ahi Ceasar salads and our first umbrella drinks of the vacation. We killed about and hour and a half there and spent the rest of the time at our gate. It was painful for highstrung Lauri---Jeff was content reading :-). After a very short flight to Lihue, Kaua’i we picked up our Ford Focus (which we mock regularly) and checked in at the hotel. The most noticeable thing, of course, is the sheer number of chickens and roosters running wild everywhere. Our view from the deck is great, we can see the beach and swaying palm trees. Plus, we look out to the plush and meticulously maintained courtyard. The hotel lobby is open-air in what is called “plantation style”. The floor of our hotel is slate tile. There’s a nice kitchenette for cooking (rather, microwaving!) meals and a wardrobe for stowing clothes. There’s a large t.v. and a small CD stereo. The bathroom is large with a full linen closet. We spent our first evening settling in and unpacking. Jeff went to the local shopping center (Coconut Marketplace) and bought us some champagne and orange juice. Unwinding, we drank our mimosas out on the deck---it was the perfect reward for a long travel day. We went into the hot tub for a dip, met a really weird “local” who’s on a four-year sabbatical from “the real world” doing “whatever tech stuff there is to be done” from his laptop. Then we went to the Coconut Marketplace again to grab a late dinner at TC’s Grill. We ordered veggie burgers and salads to go ($18). The burgers didn’t have any condiments on them but were very delicious anyway…it may have had something to do with the Maui Onions.


Advertisement



1st June 2007

Focus?
Aint nothin' wrong with a Ford Anything! You sillies!
1st June 2007

what's that blue thing?
Does it have Drano in it?
2nd June 2007

Drano??
Silly, Lysa. I wouldn't feed Jeff Drano (yet). It's called a "Blue Hawaii" and is right up there with the "Mai Tai" for most-ordered frou frou drink in Hawaii. Also, the "Chi Chi" is very popular, but not with me. It's like coconut juice, milk, and rum...urp...I just vomited in my mouth a little.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb