Kicking some first round goals, or a home run


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kaua'i
April 7th 2023
Published: April 8th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Given this country’s fondness for sports, I thought I’d start things with an appropriate reference. Oh my god, we are so enjoying travelling in an English-speaking country again!

Things started with what might be termed in the sporting world as an own goal. Clearly I should have allowed the extra hour to connect to our flight to Lihue. Not because we missed it, oh no, despite the enormous line to clear border control and an equally long line for security into the domestic check in, we had plenty of time. I should have chosen the connecting flight after the one we were booked on because it landed a full 2.5 hours before ours! Best laid plans and all of that, but at least the car pickup and Walmart went smoothly and we finally arrived at our apartment. Dark, hungry and tired but the sound of the surf and the beautiful moonrise over the water water made it almost better…together with some pasta and wine.

A nice relaxing sleep in before some excellent American carbs and sugar for breakfast before we wandered around the corner for a quick snorkel. Incredibly clear water and fish the size of the cars here! A quick sandwich lunch and off to our horse ride. A beautiful setting, wedged between the mountains and the sea, making it very lush and green, and sometimes very muddy.

Met our horses and saddled up before heading off up the ridge. Lovely views and the crashing waves, some whales in the distance…but all irrelevant to Beeb’s horse who took the opportunity of a slightly ‘more lenient’ rider to snack at every available opportunity. A really beautiful ride, enjoyed by everyone, but maybe not the person who has to ride behind Beeb’s horse tomorrow.

Back home to watch the antics of the turtles as they careened about in the waves crashing against the rocks as we watched on in amusement. We weren’t sure whether they were trying to get onto the rocks or not, as there were flippers akimbo and turtle mooning to be seen, and it was irrelevant to the encroaching water. Some drinks and a proposal before heading to Poipu for a delicious dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb