Southern Hospitality


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Woodstock
May 28th 2009
Published: May 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We left Montgomery nice and early because (1) we wanted to see Atlanta before heading to Jenny's house and (2) we would do our last time zone switch of the trip (thank goodness!). The drive wasn't bad at all; in fact, there was very little traffic which may have been due to the fact that there is no such thing as rush hour in Montgomery and we got into Atlanta around noon.

Atlanta is a cool city. We spent most of our time downtown near Centennial Park. We walked around the Georgia Aquarium and the World of Coke (but not in them, because those cost money). We did look at the gift shop because, well, that's what you should do when you can't go into the museum. We then continued through the park and looked at all the stuff from the Olympics. I was really impressed.

Next to the Park is the CNN center which, for me, was like giving candy to a little kid. I was in heaven. I can't even begin to describe how cool the building is from the inside. I need to go back one day and take the tour.

Then we went over to Stone Mountain, the Confederate version of Mt. Rushmore. Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee, and Stonewall Jackson are sitting on horses carved into the side of the mountain. Then there were flags for each Confederate state noting when they seceded, were admitted to the Confederacy, and re-admitted to the Union. I found it really interesting but spent the entire time debating about how offensive the entire place is.

Finally we went up to Woodstock, a good ole suburb of Atlanta. We went with Jenny to pick up her sister and got a tour of the town. When we returned, we ate a good home-cooked meal of BBQ chicken, corn-on-the-cob, and homemade strawberry ice cream. It was a very nice and happy change from what we've been eating for the past 2.5 weeks. We then watched two movies - Madagascar and The Interpreter. Very different, but both movies I love.

T-minus 2 days before I've finished circumnavigating the country!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 15; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb