The Tybee Island Lighthouse


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Tybee Island
March 24th 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Since myself and Chris had plans to see Savannah for the day, we also decided to see the Lighthouse as well. It was an additional 30 minute drive, but was nice to have another area to see since we were already looking at a daytrip involving 4+ hours of driving each way. (We later decided this wasn't the smartest of day trip decisions.)

The lighthouse is set back from the beach, where suprisingly, many were sunbathing this day. I had only been to the area once, when I was in 8th grade, and my memory just held a cold windy day - not one fully of warmth and sunshine like this new day provided.

A structure sits between the lighthouse and the ocean, it's an old fort, with a portion of it currently used as a Masonic Lodge. There's alot of Masonic history in the area - we would discover later that the first Grand Master is buried in the Savannah cemetary, an image of the Plaque honoring him is in my Savannah entry.

We didn't really go to the beach, just the boardwalk leading to the sands, in an effort to make sure we had time to
Tybee Island Tybee Island Tybee Island

Another portion of this building is used as a Masonic lodge.
see Savannah in daylight. (We did not arrive to Tybee until after 2pm, after leaving my apartment at just after 9am.)

Near the lighthouse, there is also an area containing flags involved with the history of the area, one of which was a pirates flag. I wish I could be a fly on the wall of history to see what it was like in years past in the area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 28; qc: 118; dbt: 0.1078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb