Road Trip Day 3


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Savannah
July 9th 2009
Published: July 10th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Spanish MossSpanish MossSpanish Moss

my new inspiration
So, on this leg of the trip we stopped in Sumter, SC to visit Charlene and meet for the first time my goddaughter, Teagan. And we saw Winston's impeccably kept apartment in Savannah.

The only thing wrong with Savannah are the herds of squirrels. Everything else I found perfect. I'm sure there are some people who are ambivalent or even annoyed about the Spanish Moss everywhere in Georgia. Maybe homeowners find it invasive or tiresome. Idiots. I find myself gasping with excitement and a little bit of fear every time we drive or walk under a canopy of its draping majesty. Spanish Moss is probably the reason that non-believers feel spooked out on the “Ghost Tours” of Savannah and why it is considered America's most haunted city. As if the ghouls and spirits have risen from Colonial Park Cemetery and possessed the trees of all the land. The color of Spanish Moss can even be described as ghoulish green. It's the perfect dramatic feather boa wrapping the entire region in grandeur, richness, and mysticism. I think I shall never tire of Spanish Moss.

River Street in the rain was not as miserable as it sounds. We stopped at Fiddler's
Skidaway Island Park Skidaway Island Park Skidaway Island Park

not as close as it seems on the map
Pub and Restaurant, recommended by Mom and Dad Booth. A dozen oysters for 6 bucks. I ate them for the simple reason that it's our honeymoon! I found them more ingestible than seawater oysters, but Vincenzo would not concur. Then came the literal boatload of steamed giant crabs, crawfish, oysters, mussels, clams, and jumbo shrimp- for two. For one would have sufficed! Win got a hamburger- not a seafood lover. Something we'll never get used to is paying $6 for a glass of wine instead of 4 euro for a liter jug. You leave Italy, you leave the canteen convenience.

In the event that anyone reading this will ever take an RV to Savannah, be forewarned, the beautiufl Skidaway Island Park campground is a 30-45 minute drive from Savanahh's city center. Instead, and for ¼ of the price, you can get a 24 hour parking permit and park overniht in the Visitor Center parking lot, smack dab in the city center next to the Whistle Stop Cafe. For only $7! No hook-ups, electiricty, or any amenities but after a long night on River Street you won't even notic any of these shortcomings.




Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

our love nestour love nest
our love nest

with the new amish quillow
Surprise!Surprise!
Surprise!

We visited Charlene and her beautiful family!
Sara and CharleneSara and Charlene
Sara and Charlene

after 3 years of separation!
A flower before deathA flower before death
A flower before death

Because no more than 10 seconds after this photo was taken, a little Japanese tourist plucked it and presented it to his mom. WHo then gasped and whispered something that probably meant, "Put it down and walk away!"
Win's new car!Win's new car!
Win's new car!

not really


Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0653s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb