I think Chris wants to be Amish, cheese, Lehmanns, plowing.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Carrollton
August 28th 2008
Published: September 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey it’s me Linda again,

So at this point you may be thinking we sure haven’t gotten very far considering we left June 3rd (aaaahhhhhh!!!! ) but we have. It’s now late August and in reality we are sitting in Glacier National Park, Montana. Please don’t get too excited this blog is not about that. We are doing our best to get caught up, And with the rain and 4” of snow that kept us from the park yesterday we tried to get a little caught up, as you may tell by the more frequent bloggs. But rumor has it it is suppose to clear up by tomarrow so well be back on the slow road, more than likely. But I’ve digressed, so back to where we left off.

June 30 we arrive with little expectations in Ohio, just outside Akron to be close to exact. On the way into the state we pull into our ever favorite place the visitors center and ask so what’s Ohio got going on? After all it’s not like it’s a top tourist destination right? We’re just making a pit stop to get a few gremlins out of the rig. Well to start with it seems they have a really nice park system, and bike trails.

So we spent the first day in Camping World chasing gremlins. Oh yes and remember that pesky pod? Well Chris got up on the roof after the Buffalo experience and after some frantic measuring decided that if we dumped the pod we would go from 12’10” down to a reasonable 11’6” high. Armed with that information the great debate continued. It didn’t take much for me to finally agree since he does do most of the driving he should have the final word, for a change. But you could have heard a pin drop when they told us it would cost a bit over $400 to ship the pod back to Ga. At that price and no ability to sell it in a park, I reluctantly gave in to having it removed and disposed of by Camping World. UGH!

Well with that out of the way we decided to stay put with the 4th of July 2 days away we were concerned that camping spots would be hard to secure. So using the first come first serve system we stayed put, at West Branch State Park. We spent the next several days tooling around the area. Ohio has a great bike path called the toe path that we enjoyed. Took a drive through the national forest, found a local farmers market and visited the largest Amish community in the country.

Did I say largest Amish community in the country, yep that’s right. Again with learning something new, I always thought it was in PA., but no. So Chris and I took the big red south in search of everything Amish. Chris was in heaven, for those of you who don’t know it Chris loves cheese and we got to visit an Amish cheese factory. I have never seen and tasted so many types of cheese; I thought I would be sick. As for Chris, he was smiling from ear to ear. We tooled around the small town of Charm gawking at all the horse and buggies, until the day got away from us. So, since we had big red we stayed the night and moved north the next morning, toward the grand daddy store of them all, Lehman’s Hardware. Well again I thought Chris was going to explode with excitement. You see he has had one of their catalogs forever. This store caters to the Amish and Mennonites with non-powered or minimum powered items used in the home. They have things like old fashioned wood cooking stoves and ovens, composting toilets, hurricane lamps, hand tools hardware, books, food you name it. We spent the entire day yes entire day there. Dog tired and dragging our tails we headed back to base camp. We had a great visit with some of our neighbors Jack, Joann, Rick and Bonnie (hale to the knitting queen) regrouped and were off again to parts unknown.




Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb