Bob Dylan, Dalai Lama, Atlanta: What an October!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Atlanta
October 18th 2010
Published: October 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

WHAT AN OCTOBER! Definitely can't complaint this one has been uneventful.

Early in the month, Amanda and I got to see the legendary song writer, musician, and activist, Bob Dylan, right at home in Gainesville. On his 70's, the voice is still barely there, but boy he can still draw a crowd! The arena was full of old folks and young dudes alike. Amazing to think that Dylan has been on the top of stages since the early 1960's!

Mid-month and the two of us hopped in the car and headed to Georgia , where we saw the Dalai Lama. He wasn't in Daramasala, his home in exile, when we visited India in 2008, so we joined him here in Atlanta during this conference on compassion and meditation.

East met West at Emory University to unveil and discuss the science of meditation. “Minds Rule, Hearts Matter”, and his Holiness the Dalai Lama, embracing science and the modern world was there, center stage, among leading scientists from renown institutions, such as Stanford, Harvard and Emory, who have been conducting research on the effects of meditation on the brain, hormones, behavior and so on. Daniel Golman, author of Emotional IQ, was the moderator of the great presentations and discussions on the mind/body - spirituality/science connections.

It was a fascinating scientific conference, not one about Buddhism, but one bringing a secular spiritual tradition, to a newer perspective with great significance to medicine.
We participants also had the pleasure to laugh as the Dalai Lama cracked some jokes, and also to reflect as he spoke his well known message of hope and practice of cultivation of compassion, altruism and patience, even in the face of anger and unfairness.


Being in Atlanta gave us the opportunity to visit Amanda's friend, Merrill, and get to know some interesting parts of the city, like Cabbage Town, Little 5 Points, and others. Great people watching, store browsing, cemetery visiting. See the pictures. Cameras were not allowed during the conference, where security was very tight, so the picture of the DL is from the booklet.

I'll be ending the month crossing the border and than coming back for Halloween. Thus, wait for more news from this unusually diverse October....


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



22nd October 2010

DELÍCIA!!!!
QUE MÊS HEH? DYLAN,DALAI E RICHARD...NOT BAD. KKKKK ADOREI AS FOTOS,ATÉ TINHA UM ANJINHO COMO O DE CEMITÉRIO DE CAPELA,AQUELE QUE VC ADMIRAVA DESDE A INFÂNCIA,LEMBRA???? BJS
22nd October 2010

Oi Irma
Logico que assim que vi o anginho lembrei logo do de Capela. Muitas saudades. Bj. Pi

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb