What to do as a tourist in Atlanta


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Atlanta
August 27th 2005
Published: November 27th 2005
Edit Blog Post

CNN CenterCNN CenterCNN Center

Welcome to CNN Center, the headquarter of the world news.
Saturday, July 30, 2005 - Turner's Field, Atlanta, GA

Lexus Pavillion at the Turners Field, Home of the Braves is our destination for today. Our company has a banquet and baseball game function, and after some good food, booze and mingle picnic with some other co-workers and their family, it turned out that our seats are very satisfying.

My buddy Foxie, who is a big fan of the Braves, has faithfully called me and wondered how on earth I had never been in Atlanta Braves game before, but finally I'm here at the edge of my seat, watching the game in delight and trying my best to figure out on what is going on in the field, and having a good time at the same time. Doing the famous Tomahawk Chop at the Home of the Braves is definitely a must thing to do.

Today, Atlanta Braves is playing Pittsburg Pirates, and Braves chance to win is high. With 76 degrees, partly cloudy, it is a perfect day for usual hot sticky Atlanta summer. Wind is 9 mph, in from right of the baseball diamond. According to an official source, 47,441 people attended the game.

Atlanta Braves
Atlanta Braves ScoreboardAtlanta Braves ScoreboardAtlanta Braves Scoreboard

Marcus Giles' stat is on display.
ended up winning from Pittsburgh Pirates, with 9-6 final score.


Saturday, August 26, 2005 - Downtown Atlanta, GA

A typical tourist trap route in Atlanta: going to the Atlanta Underground, the Coke Museum, the Centennial Olympic Park, the CNN Center, and for an excursion, the Stone Mountain. That is exactly what Jane and I did during her visit in Atlanta, when she was transiting in Atlanta from Puerto Rico, back to her dorm room in Columbia University, NYC.

I’ve seen all of the tourist attractions mentioned above, with the exception of the CNN Center tour, so I wasn’t too thrill about doing it all again. For Jane, this is her first visit in Atlanta, and of course we were obligated to see them within two days frame. I felt like a tourist in my own city, especially when we queued in all of these places, and people were wondering where I came from. 'Buckhead', as my answers, 'which about five miles up north from here on Peachtree Road, by the Piedmont Road intersection.' Most people gave me a weird look, because my answer is not as cool as ‘NYC’, or ‘Chicago’, or even ‘Tokyo’.

In Coke Museum, I watched (again) the so-commercialized global Coke movie that made me excited on my next South American trip end of this year. Paragliding above the Rio beach is more than I could imagine happening right now. Other than that, we did typical things to do in the museum, seeing all Coke items, watching Coke commercials, learning how it started, taking pics with the Polar Bear and tasting different Coke products from all over the world.

CNN Center tour, on the other hand, was interesting for me to do it for the first time. We were riding up an eight storey escalator that brought us from the ticketing counter to the CNN center tour starting point, and this is even higher than the notorious London tube escalators. We watched the coverage on Hurricane Katrina approaching the main US continent, which is projected to hit New Orleans. The highlight of the tour was the weatherman corner, where a person stands in front of a blank green screen, and computer projects the map on the wall than only appears on TV screen. It was overwhelming to learn how much things involved in a news industry, starting from the narrator crew,
Turners Field baseball diamondTurners Field baseball diamondTurners Field baseball diamond

During the Atlanta Braves vs Pittsburgh Pirates game.
reporter traveling all around the world, and the complexity of digital movie production in house.

After the tour, we walked across the street to the Centennial Olympic park, before Ryan joining us for a nice dinner at the nearby Hard Rock Cafe Atlanta.


Sunday, August 27, 2005 - Stone Mountain, GA

Stone Mountain is located about 30 miles northeast from downtown Atlanta, and it is famous for its Confederate stone carving on the face of the rock. Stone Mountain is a significant geological site in the world, as the world's largest exposed granite rock in the world, and one of the largest monoliths, 1683 feet at the peak above ground. It somewhat looks like the Uluru in Australia, but instead of having desert surround it, Stone Mountain has thick vegetations. Uluru is only 900+ feet above ground, and it is not a monolith.

We managed to climb up to the top the next day, about a 2 mile trail hiking, with Jane wearing only her flip-flops. I had no idea how she could do it, but Ryan and myself were amazed by her. No wonder everybody though she is as strong as a horse, back
Turners Field at NightTurners Field at NightTurners Field at Night

A glowing stadium: Braves 9, Pirates 6.
in high school. Fortunately the weather was nice; it wasn’t too hot or humid, just a tame summer day for Atlanta, thanks to Hurricane Katrina.




Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

CNN WeathermanCNN Weatherman
CNN Weatherman

The weatherman shows us how the weather system works. Noticed the small screen behind him, where we can see how we would see him in live screen, after the background integration.
Inside Coke museumInside Coke museum
Inside Coke museum

Several fountain jets were shooting around the coke display.
Hard Rock Cafe AtlantaHard Rock Cafe Atlanta
Hard Rock Cafe Atlanta

I, Jane and Ryan are having dinner at the HRC Atlanta.
An excursion to Stone MountainAn excursion to Stone Mountain
An excursion to Stone Mountain

The famous Confederate sculptures on the face of Stone Mountain.
Salute!Salute!
Salute!

This is Jane, with now-world-famous flip-flops, on top of the Stone Mountain.


27th June 2008

The Atlanta Braves
My best team of MLB is The Atlanta Braves . This why I always fallow their games especially whenever I have some time. I’m always trying not o miss any of their game and hear about the team’s news. But The Atlanta Braves tickets get more pricy especially when there are some hot games. But, if we’re really good fans we should try not to be mean when we’re talking about a favourite teams. It’s not only the Braves tickets that got pricy, but there are other major teams too, so the team needs our support and we should provide as much as we can.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb