Washington DC, our 4th major capital city


Advertisement
Published: October 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Rome, Paris, London, and now Washington DC.


It was raining on our first day, so we decided to take the 1-hour Old Town Trolley Tours bus around the main sights of the downtown area. The combined ticket allowed us to visit the Madame Tussauds waxworks museum and rub shoulders with the rich & famous, including all 44 presidents, Oprah, Morgan Friedman, Selena Gomez, etc. After that, we strolled down to the Smithsonian Museums (too many of them to list) on The Mall, and spent some time in the Natural History Museum.

No rain the next day, just cold. We drove to see the house of Pat's niece Monique and Isaac (and Winston Churchill, the cat!) and had brunch at a nearby restaurant. We then all piled in the car and drove downtown to see more of the Smithsonian, this time the Museum of Modern Art, and the Air & Space Museum.

On our 3rd day we headed back into the city for lunch with Monique & Isaac, then walked the whole length of The Mall, taking in more of the sights: Capital Hill & Congress, Native American museum, Smithsonian Castle, Washington Monument (closed because of the recent earthquake but cool to watch the inspectors rappelling down the outside), and the Lincoln Memorial.

Then back on the road, heading north to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, and reflections on the Civil War...



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb