Foundations of American Culture


Advertisement
Published: October 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Over the past month once I finished uploading the pictures for this entry, I’ve been considering how I would write an entry that would broadly connect what was seen and provide and overall central theme. That’s simply not going to happen, at least not in the space that I typically limit myself to when writing on this blog. It’s not due to being lazy (save I know I could keep this blog a little more current), but more to the fact that I think it would take an entire novel to connect what is shown in this entry. Within the span of nearly two days, I visited the majority of major museums within the mall of DC. In many ways, it verified all that was suggested in my high school American history textbook of events and people that were said to have truly existed. Further though, I think this museum tour provided a glimpse of what type of iceberg of American culture and history exists beneath the general knowledge surface level.
For the most part, I would prefer to let the pictures speak for themselves within this blog. Keep in mind that I probably selected less than 10% of the pictures that I took. There was so much history and culture to be seen that I was quite surprised by the end of these two days. My travels within Europe and Asia has made me think that the history of America would be quite limited. To a historical timeline degree, that is true. However, the culture and history is so much richer as well as the various threads and colors of different people and interactions creates a much brighter and diverse tapestry that most other national histories. The United States is one of the, if not the best example of a modern day human culture melting pot. What the US has created, and is still budding today is much more vibrant than many other national museums I have visited around the world could present. Perhaps I become a bit patriotic when confronted with history of my country face to face, but while I can be honest as a teacher and explain the darker side of the US better than the average person, there is still a positive force with the US. The heroism of those who fought for rights and freedoms of others, the culture that has become a world-wide phenomenon, the ingenuity that has forever changed the world, the various and influential leaders we have created, these aspects and many more truly make America a significant country.
I think I digress too much though. I hope you enjoy this pictures and it provides the slightest idea to you that came through my mind:
The US has had a major impact on this world thus far, and helped to make us who we are. Now that it is our time, what will we add to this story with the time given to us?



Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

American Indian MuseumAmerican Indian Museum
American Indian Museum

A new building that represented the culture and people well!
Knowing the pastKnowing the past
Knowing the past

Understanding that true history is not a Disney version is an important patriotic duty.
A famous nativeA famous native
A famous native

Jimi Hendrix is one of the more well known American Natives.


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 50; dbt: 0.065s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb