FINAL NOTES


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Connecticut » Trumbull
September 23rd 2013
Published: September 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

EPHESUSEPHESUSEPHESUS

EMPEROR CAT
Not sure I could travel independently in Greece. Signage is mostly in Greek and very difficult to understand. Whoever coined the phrase "It's all Greek to me" was on the money. There are five symbols for "I", four for "O" and plus all the other symbols of the Greek alphabet. Most everyone in the tourist industry speaks English but not everyone is in tourism.



Greek men always seen to be speaking loudly even when conversing on a plane. Not sure if it's cultural or a sign of economic stress. Many buildings have been abandoned half done and the unemployment rate for men between 16 and 40 is 60%, or so I was told. That can't be sustained without civil unrest. Our tour in Santorini was changed because strikes and demonstrations were happening on one side of the island.



The waters of the Aegean are amazing, sapphire and cobalt blue. I have never seen water those colors anywhere.



With the exception of Rhodes, we saw few birds, maybe because of all the cats. The cats we saw were all slim and had various markings. Lots of marmalade kitties but others of stripes and
EPHESUSEPHESUSEPHESUS

GUARDIAN CAT
patches or all black. Very cute.



Gypsies are common. There is an area on Corfu that has a settlement. Gypsy children do not go to school and are sent out to beg at six or seven. They are dirty and barefoot and can be seen on the medium at busy intersections. Wonder if they pretend to be hit by a car. Can't think of any other reason they are there. They are also at the tourist attraction playing music badly and looking at you with pleading eyes. They are difficult to ignore but I can't encourage the behavior. I understand that this is common around Europe.



The Greeks are understandably very proud of their culture and heritage. Our guides were very knowledgable and well trained. They all spoke excellent English and have a great sense of humor.



A enjoyed Turkey and I have never seen anything to compare to Ephesus. Signage is in English as well as Turkish. I would feel comfortable traveling there. Our guide, a Muslim, was distressed about the current government and it's attempts to establish Islam rule. He had such pride in his secular tradition and hates
RHODESRHODESRHODES

THE MAYOR
to see it challenged.



Gas in Turkey was almost $12 US and almost as high in Greece at around $9 US. Lots of small cars and scooters. Must cost a fortune to run the tour buses.



Both the Greeks and the Turks love their cats. That makes them special in my book.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

RHODESRHODES
RHODES

NICE KITTIE
CORFUCORFU
CORFU

SHAGGY DOG


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0749s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb