Glenwood Canyon and Hanging Lake


Advertisement
Published: May 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We found an unexpected treasure in the stretch of I-70 as we entered Glenwood Springs from the east. The Colorado River winds through the Glenwood Canyon and the views from the highway in both directions are dramatic. Another surprise was a separate paved bike path that runs alongside the river below the highway from mile marker 116.8 to 131.We didn’t have our bikes with us but there are companies in town that offer bike rental and one-way drop off services.



That was really tempting but we opted to go on the hike to Hanging Lake at mile marker 125 that was highly recommended to us by some other bathers at the Strawberry Park Hot Springs. It was somewhat tough 1.2 miles each way, climbing over 1100 feet by the end but stepping out onto the platform and seeing the beautiful lake, designated a national natural wonder, was worth every step. We also took the additional trail above to some lovely falls. The intense blues and greens in the water seem very surreal. As we were hiking up the steep trail to Hanging Lake, we asked a returning hiker if it was worth it. He said “If you like rocks and water”. Well, I guess we do! Definitely, add this hike to your list.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



29th May 2015

Hanging Lake
Beautiful ... just beautiful. Love the pic of the lake and you and Terry. Very interesting about the bike path especially that it was paved! Stay safe you two. Hugs, Kate
29th July 2015

Thanks, Kate! There are so many beautiful places I know you'd love to bike and hike!

Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 68; dbt: 0.082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb