Colorado Springs & Air Force Military Academy


Advertisement
Published: October 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

What a difference a day can make when it comes to the weather. Yesterday it was 70 degrees when we arrived in Colorado Springs and this morning it was 37 degrees with light snow. UGH!!! We had planned to go to Pikes Peak but obviously that was out of the question due to snow on the mountain. We chose instead to visit the Air Force Military Academy and the Chapel. At the visitor center, we viewed a short film about the academy and then I went to the Chapel to photograph this architecturally interesting building.
The following is information written about the Chapel.
"Like a row of jet wings set on their end, the Air Force Academy’s chapel is one of the most architecturally significant structures in Colorado, representing a new modernism in governmental buildings, while respecting the needs of all faiths. Designed by Walter Nesch, the chapel has five different areas: one each for Protestantism, Catholicism and Judaism, and two separate all-faith rooms for worship. Stand in the middle of the Protestant Chapel, with its 99-foot pinnacled ceiling, and stare at the glowing stained-glass mosaics that outline the building’s signature geometry. At the rear of the chapel you’ll see the organ with its 4,334 pipes. Step into the Catholic Chapel to see a stunning, abstract portrayal of the firmament in colored glass, and make time for the paintings of Shlomo Katz in the Jewish Chapel. Worship services and self-guided tours are available to the general public."

We then had lunch, made a stop at the Saturn dealership to have a noise issue checked for safety and then returned to the hotel for the remainder of the afternoon. It was cold, raining and just an overall miserable day as far as the weather was concerned.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.583s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 20; qc: 99; dbt: 0.3769s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb