No oxygen again!


Advertisement
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 38.8331, -104.822

We got up this morning and had breakfast. There are 3 other couples staying at this b&b. It is nice to talk with other people from other states and countries. Our hosts are a blast. The man is 79 and still doing all of the maintainence at the house, including climbing a 25 foot ladder to replace a window. I hope that I am still that mobile at 79!
We headed for Garden of the Gods. It is still really interesting. I was there in around 1966, and climbed all over the rocks. Now, you can't climb on them unless you get a permit.
After that, we headed to the Pikes Peak highway and took it to the top of Pikes Peak. The altitude is 14,110 feet. The tempurature dropped 20 degrees during the drive. We started out at 7400 feet. This would have been a great road to take in the Porsche, except that there were people going very slow as there are no guard rails. They say that you need enough gas to go 80 miles, the sign says you shouldn't start up without a half a tank of gas. Well, we were just a hair over a quarter when we got to the sign and I said the hell with it lets go! We made it to the top and back to the bottom and the guage still showed a little over a quarter. Now thats great gas mileage!
We went back into Manitou Springs and filled the tank and had some lunch. Then we headed over to the Seven Falls to check it out. You can take an elevator to a viewing point and get good pics. You also can climb the 222 steps next to the falls and see them close up. I will be paying for that trip tomorrow! My legs are like jello! Guess I need to work out alot more.
We left the falls and found a coin op car wash so I could get the gazillion bugs off of the front of the car. Glad I waxed it before we left, because they came off pretty easily.
The weather has still been pretty good. They had a massive rainstorm in Colorado Springs last night, but all we got was a couple of very light sprinkles. Our host said that a mile and a half away they got 2 inches of rain and golf ball size hail.
We went back to our b&b for a well deserved nap. After that, we walked down to old Colorado City and bought a few gifts. We found a nice bar, had a couple of beers and then had dinner. Back to the room and some packing for tomorrow. We leave Colorado Springs and head up to Estes Park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



11th June 2012

You two look so relaxed!! We are jealous ;) continue to have fun and see all the great sights. Missing you both! Lots of love from California.

Tot: 0.219s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0577s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb