My Love Affair With The Rockies Begins


Advertisement
Published: September 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Manitou Springs, ColoradoManitou Springs, ColoradoManitou Springs, Colorado

This would be us!
Monday. Colorado Springs, Colorado.

After a leisurely breakfast and conversation at a Dunkin Donuts with a nice mountain view, the sight-seeing began.

First stop was Manitou Springs which is a hippie enclave at the base of Pikes Peak. We did a little walking, a little window-shopping, and a little relaxing in this nice little park with a stream running through it and lots of shade! To illustrate how friendly the people in Colorado truly are, a man with very few teeth added an offer of nose candy to the usual greeting in passing. Needless to say, we declined and took the long way out of the park to avoid him and his "wife."

It's really quite hilly in the mountains... we walked up a stairway that looked like it might lead to a little path (but only led to some cottage type apartments) and then walked back down a really steeeeeep hill to get back to the street... flip flops are great shoes for taking a walk in flat Florida... not so much in hilly Colorado...

Next stop was Garden of the Gods park where we drove around looking at the amazing landscape and popping out for
Garden of the Gods, ColoradoGarden of the Gods, ColoradoGarden of the Gods, Colorado

Tony's a pretty good photographer. That's my Nashville hat!
quick stops and photo opportunities. It was unseasonably hot during our trip, about 10 degrees hotter than normal most days, hovering around 100F, so we decided not to do any hiking in the heat of mid-day. The heat started getting to us with so many hops in and out of the car and we headed back to the hotel to escape the hottest part of the day.

Last stop in this area was Seven Falls. Waterfalls are pretty neat by themselves; but the touristy thing about this place is that they project pretty multi-colored ever-changing lights onto and through the waterfall and it's just soooo prettttty!!!!! We timed it so that we got there just before twilight was beginning so we had time to walk up the five hundred million stuper steep stairs that go to the top of the waterfall. Okay, okay, more like two hundred steps... but there's a whole lot less AIR in the air at 6500 feet elevation than there is at say, 10 feet!

We did a little hiking even though all the signs said not to after 7pm... and when it started getting darker, we went back to the falls and found
Garden of the GodsGarden of the GodsGarden of the Gods

I love mountains.
it much harder going down the stairs since they really are very steep. The vertigo was nearly too much for me and I'm surprised that both of us made it down the steps without summersaulting clumsily to the bottom! Tony is not a fan of heights and he did really well (better than me!).

My favorite things about Colorado Springs: the beautiful landscape and Seven Fallls. Tony's coolest thing about Colorado Springs was also Seven Falls at night with the lights. That settles it then, if you're out this way, go to Seven Falls!


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Garden of the GodsGarden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods

These pretty wildflowers are everywhere in this part of the world. I love them! And what a cool mountainy-spikey-thingy.
Garden of the GodsGarden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods

Us in front of that mountainy-spikey-thingy
Garden of the GodsGarden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods

A cool shot at a pull-off
Seven Falls, ColoradoSeven Falls, Colorado
Seven Falls, Colorado

Off the beaten path somewhere near the top of a waterfall...
Seven FallsSeven Falls
Seven Falls

That thar's a big tree!
Seven FallsSeven Falls
Seven Falls

Taking a rest along the trail
Seven FallsSeven Falls
Seven Falls

Have I mentioned the air is thinner up there... lots of rests are required... ;)
Seven FallsSeven Falls
Seven Falls

That thar's a hollow tree!!! Okay, so I wanted to get inside of it because, well, how cool is that?!?! But... I'm not a nature girl like Tony is a nature guy so the possibility of creepy bugs kept me from going into the tree... and Tony's an entomologist/biologist/ecologist. Go figure.
Seven FallsSeven Falls
Seven Falls

Oh... pretty!!!!
Seven FallsSeven Falls
Seven Falls

Us at the mid-point of the Never-Ending Vertigo Stairway... this was on the way down... we needed a good five minutes to mentally prepare for the rest of the descent!


Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0866s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb