First Stop


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » California » Yucca Valley
January 7th 2011
Published: January 29th 2011
Edit Blog Post

With a large bag of pecans from Debi we headed south on CA 58 to Barstow. A half hour stop at The Murray Family Farm filled out our supply of fruits on board including a 10 lb bag of Navel Oranges (a Kern County winter treat). After the snow covered mountains of Tehachapi, we spent the next four hours driving in the Mojave desert (nothing of value or interest to report). However I was shocked at the number of people who live in the community of Lucerne Valley and then the 25K+ in Yucca Valley. Although they are both a little more picturesque than Las Vegas, it would be difficult for me to live there.

After the short 5 mile drive to Black Rock Canyon campground in Joshua Tree National Park, we went about setting up camp with the main task of putting away the camping, cookware, food, and clothing we bought in preparation for the trip. It was a bit like Christmas morning with a few surprises for everyone including KC – new food bowl. Once completed we had a chance to do a walk around and become acquainted with our temporary living environment. Emily then realized she had been here 10 or so years before with her best friend from college days at Duke. As night fell we were snug and warm with lots of battery power, a full water tank, and propane to keep the heater and refrigerator supplied. A quick game of Scrabble and then to bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0581s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb